The Beginning of a HUGE Project.

KevlarMT

Cadet
I have a 1969 Mark Twain V-Sonic boat that I purchased a number of years ago. It is an 18' I/O with the Mercruiser 160 engine. I enjoyed using it for several years until I lost a seal on one of the baffles. I didn't know what was wrong and procrastinated fixing it. As a result, it sat in the weather for many years and now needs a complete rebuild. I am still tearing things out of the boat to decide if I have the time and $$$ to do this job. I will post some "before" pics below. My question is this: I have been stripping down the boat to get it down to the hull. I just removed the bumper rail and have begun thinking about removing the top half of the of the hull. Since I have to do all new stringers, probably the transom, upholstery, dash, wiring, gauges, rebuild the engine and outdrive, paint, etc., would it be easier to take the top half off and start from scratch or is it better to leave it in place?

Thanks!025.jpg029.jpg028.jpg026.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: The Beginning of a HUGE Project.

Welcome to iBoats!

I LOVE the old Mark Twain boats. They have GREAT Lines. It is a LOT easier to decapitate em and work on em. Take some BEFORE measurements across the beam so you will no her dimensions in case you get any hull flex during the rebuild (you will). Lots of help here for you so keep the pics and questions coming. If that's a wooden dash she will be BEE-U-TEE-FUL when you get her refinished!;)

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see a 3.0L sitting there in the future!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't think I'd personally put any money into an old closed bow with an old non-running I/O.

KevlarMT

Cadet

@ezmobee The engine worked great the last time I used it. It is frozen right now because it has been sitting so long. I don't anticipate any problems getting it back on its feet. I have been told your comment by others. If you don't mind my asking, why would you not restore a boat like this? I know a newer boat may be better in the long run but I really like the lines on this one and it has an amazingly solid feel on the water. I understand that I might be better off investing the rebuild money into a boat without so many problems.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I don't think I'd personally put any money into an old closed bow with an old non-running I/O.

EZ makes a GREAT point!!! Before you sink any Time, or Effort into her, you should verify that the motor is going to be able to be brought back to life. If not then she will probably NOT be worth the effort.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

why would you not restore a boat like this?

If YOU really like the boat then by all means go for it. Who am I to disagree?

On paper though, closed bows are probably the least desirable boats as far as resale goes (I had one and sold it) cuz basically all they're best suited for is cruising around. They aren't great for fishing and lack the seating of an open bow. Can't really do much with the closed bow either other than stash some stuff under there. Also old I/O's can be big money pits. Yours is a Mercruiser at least but I'd still imagine that there's some NLA parts on it. So it wouldn't be on my short list of worthwhile projects. But, I do like MT hulls and if you like the boat that's all that matters and we'll be here to answer questions. Good luck with it.

KevlarMT

Cadet

Also old I/O's can be big money pits.

Great information. I don't have a big budget planned for this restore. I am kind of a perfectionist and would not do a halfway job of it. I can envision the money running out and having a boat sitting in my garage being slowly worked on over the next 3 years. Not what I had in mind. I think I will pull the engine and see what it looks like. If I don't like what I see I will just try to part out what I can and then start saving up for a different boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Best way to get on the water cheaply is an aluminum hull with an outboard. Least chance of financial ruin :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Best way to get on the water cheaply is an aluminum hull with an outboard. Least chance of financial ruin :)

Hey NOW!!!
Us Glassers resent that remark!!!! I got my rig for $250 and still have under a Grand invested.;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hey NOW!!!
Us Glassers resent that remark!!!! I got my rig for $250 and still have under a Grand invested.;)

I know you're kidding around but yours was not rotted and 90% of them are. Plus you can do a low budget resto on a tinnie and have it be acceptable. You cannot really do a low budget resto on a glasser and have it be structurally sound and safe.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

I would!!!

Done001.jpg

If it aint tin and it aint an OB .......... I/O's are nothing to be scared of - sheesh....I have had both and prefer the I/O by a mile.

If you like it - fix it!!

KevlarMT

Cadet

Well this was short-lived. After hearing comments on this thread, reading other's threads about restorations, and talking to a couple local friends who have restored boats, I have decided not to restore my Mark Twain. I don't have the money right now to do the kind of job I would like to do and I certainly don't have the time. I would rather save the funds and put them toward a newer boat when the student loans are paid off. Thanks for your help and input. I think I will try to list the boat for whatever offer I can get or maybe sell what parts I can and then haul it off to the salvage yard.