Definition of high speed boating?

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My favorite launch site/lake has a rule of "No High Speed Boating after 7:30". As I was leaving the boater next to me and I were discussing it. I jokingly said, "What you were doing was 'High Speed Boating'; on the other hand, what I was doing could not possibly have been 'High Speed Boating'". My question is... Exactly what is high speed boating? And if you are going to say "No Wake", then what is the exact definition of "No Wake"? Please also define at what point my trail in the water becomes a "wake". Yes I am serious, and no this is not a school assignment. Especially nice would be a source that gives an "official" definition. BTW, my boat has a top end of about 31MPH on a good day.

(added this later)
I eventually found this in the state regulations for the specific lake...

(a) Between the hours of 6:30 p.m. and 10:00 a.m. of the following day, to operate a vessel at high speed, or have in tow, or otherwise assist in the propulsion of, a person on water skis, water sled, kite, surfboard or other similar contrivance.

(b) At any time, to operate a vessel at a speed in excess of 35 miles per hour (56 kilometers per hour).

Thanks,
TerryMSU

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Definition of high speed boating?

I would define wake as anything that would wake the normal person if they were laying on a raft in the water. Or just as the gears engage and you start moving forward, you should not see any waves more than 2".

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

A wake is the region of disturbed flow (usually turbulent) downstream of a solid body moving through a fluid, caused by the flow of the fluid around the body. In incompressible fluids (liquids) such as water, a bow wake is created when a watercraft moves through the medium; as the medium cannot be compressed, it must be displaced instead, resulting in a wave. As with all wave forms, it spreads outward from the source until its energy is overcome or lost, usually by friction or dispersion.

TerryMSU

So by definition, any boat will create a wake at any speed. I think this is a valid engineering definition, but perhaps not a valid legal definition.

TerryMSU

A wake is the region of disturbed flow (usually turbulent) downstream of a solid body moving through a fluid, caused by the flow of the fluid around the body. In incompressible fluids (liquids) such as water, a bow wake is created when a watercraft moves through the medium; as the medium cannot be compressed, it must be displaced instead, resulting in a wave. As with all wave forms, it spreads outward from the source until its energy is overcome or lost, usually by friction or dispersion.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

I think the regulation has more to do with noise than wake.

dsiekman

so...to add a twist...I have twins. With both engaged at idle i'm doing a little over 6 knots. Leaving one out of gear makes steering difficult and cumbersome. Where does that leave me?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I can't see radar shot from a boat at a boat looking for a tolerance over 5 mph standing up in court--unless the boat was going 20 or thereabouts.

zagger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was under the impression that Coast Guard rule was that the speed limit at night (aft. sunset/before sun rise) was 5 mph on any navigable water way lakes included. I learned that 5 years ago coming back from a 4th of July fire work display. I was maybe going 15 when puled over and was given $380.00 speeding ticket. I contested since the officer approximated my speed visually, the judge did not even care to hear me out, only stated the MPH rule and that was that.:rolleyes:

NYBo

Admiral

I think the regulation has more to do with noise than wake.
Noise plus safe operation during a period of reduced visibility. However, the way the rule Terry cites is written is BS, IMO. There should be speed limit right on the sign.

I was under the impression that Coast Guard rule was that the speed limit at night (aft. sunset/before sun rise) was 5 mph on any navigable water way lakes included. I learned that 5 years ago coming back from a 4th of July fire work display. I was maybe going 15 when puled over and was given $380.00 speeding ticket. I contested since the officer approximated my speed visually, the judge did not even care to hear me out, only stated the MPH rule and that was that.:rolleyes:
No such rule or law that I can find. Jurisdictions can pass speed limit laws at whatever level they wish, apparently.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

A wake by definition......

Wake: An event that your friends and loved ones would be attending if your wife found out that you got a $380 speeding ticket in the boat.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i define wake as anything over 4 inch waves behind me. unless sheriff is near then just into gear enough to putt. seen a boat going though channel saturday doing every bit of 6-8mph making 8 inch+ waves i define that as a ticket even if sheriff isnt around you shiouldnt fly through it i almost wanted to call him.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

so...to add a twist...I have twins. With both engaged at idle i'm doing a little over 6 knots. Leaving one out of gear makes steering difficult and cumbersome. Where does that leave me?

As the size of the boat increases, the speed at no wake does as well. I too move along at a similar speed, while throwing just ripples on the water.

zagger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wake: An event that your friends and loved ones would be attending if your wife found out that you got a $380 speeding ticket in the boat.

ROFL, Best wake definition I ever herd, lucky she was with me or I would not be writing this!

Fjandy

Seaman

Just came back from the Fort Myers area. The definition of "wake" appears to be very subjective. I'll chime in that I always though of "no wake" and "idle" zones the same. In other words, I idle except when a boost is needed for steering.

soggy_feet

Buoys around the marinas here say '5mph - no wake zone'. I cant remember the wording of some of the signs around, but basically, 5mph is the max. Some boats put out a sizable wake, or, at least enough to complain about, even at 5mph. Those boats need to go slower.

I go by the point where I start making white water. If its churning past the bow, waves too big, boats too fast. If im just gliding along silently... perfect.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

In Indiana the night time speed limit is 10 mph, which for me at least is plenty fast enough, can't imagine going 30 but then again I am on a river.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Noise plus safe operation during a period of reduced visibility.

The OP stated that the law is in effect until 10am the next day. The way I understand the statement is that it's more of a noise thing than safe navigation during a period of reduced visibility.

I'd somewhat agree with you if the OP mentioned the "30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise" rule but I have to disagree with you completely with your reduced visiblity arguement.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

On this note, having spent a couple hours hanging out around the marina... It seems 50% or more people on the water do not truly know what no wake means. Most of them do slow down, but right to the point of plowing as large a wake as they can. I'm glad it's the small boats doing this, had a 30+'er gone through plowing like the little boats do, there would be a LOT of damage.

had a 30+'er gone through plowing like the little boats do, there would be a LOT of damage.

I've had a couple of run ins with bozos in huge cruisers almost swamping me while I was fishing. Slowed down to plowing speed and gave me a friendly wave as their wake got me wet up to my knees while standing on the front casting deck. There are idiots in all sizes of boats.

Oh, as to the original post, here's my idea of a high speed boat :D

mCRW_2958-002.jpg

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Well just my .02 but I ways also lucky enough to get ticketed in a no wake zone, I was on an unfamiliar jetski in an unfamiliar water system, and the ticket I recieved for this infraction stated "operating on a plane in a no wake zone" I wasnt going very fast, just a tad above idle... But that was their definition of the event in the no wake zone... I payed the ticket in full :/