How to Refuel a Gas Powered Boat Safely

AKBASSKING

Cadet
These are from Boattest.com

How to Refuel Safely

1. Close all ports and hatches before refueling to keep fumes from the fill from entering the boat.

2. Ask occupants to stand on the dock before refueling.

3. After fueling is complete, open the engine hatch, stick your head down in the compartment and sniff for fumes. The human nose is the best fume detector.

4. Keep the hatch open and give the engine compartment time to dissipate any gas fumes which might be there. (I also check other fluids such as oil etc.)

5. Visually inspect for signs of fuel in the bilge, dripping from the fuel-fill pipe or at fuel line connections, of which there are usually a minimum of four.

6. When all looks and smells safe, turn on the engine blower and run it for 4 to 5 minutes, depending on guidance from your boat manual or the plate affixed next to the helm.

7. Start your engines. Then ask your passengers to board.

bekosh

Lieutenant
Re: How to Refuel a Gas Powered Boat Safely

2.5-Supervise the marina employee closely to ensure that they do not mistakenly fill your water tank, waste tank or rod holder with fuel.
2.5a-If self serve, do not allow yourself to become distracted and do the above yourself. Look twice, pump once.

Fjandy

Seaman

Had a friend in high school that worked at a local lake with mostly wealthy non boaters. He filled a hull with gasoline. He also dropped a boat from a crane lift and let one go adrift. Guess I'd just say, don't trust kids.

D

DJ

I'll add;

-If you have "portable tanks" the best/safest way to fill them is on the dock. Removed from the boat.

Realistically, that does not and won't happen. In response to that, the best way to proceed filling a portable tank is to touch the fuel nozzle to a NON fuel area of the portable tank. Away from the outlet and fill area. That releases any potential static electricity.

THat is NOT an approved method. However, I have ssen static jump when done.:eek: