Heads and Valve adjustments

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, my engine is a Mercruiser 1999 305 carbed. I pulled the heads since I blew one of them. Replaced the gaskets...yada yada yada. And when I come to torquing them down my book says 22ftlbs and then 75 degrees more for the long bolts 65 for medium and 55 for short. I estimated, is there a better way to go about this?<br /><br />Next comes the valves. The 99 305 engine apparently has hydrolic valve lifters or something and I need to bring the #1 cyl to top dead center and then tighten some of the lifters. It seems pretty simple, but I dont want to miss anything. Are there any "do's and don'ts" that I need to keep in mind.<br /><br />Thanks for any advice<br /><br />Mike

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Heads and Valve adjustments

Hi Mike,<br /><br />Head bolts.... I was taught that you torqued them in sequence and in steps... (Just as an example... your's may vary) in sequence to 20-25ft/lbs, then in sequence to 50 and then to 75.<br />The main thought here is to torque them down gradually.<br /><br />Valve lash...<br />Your manual should give you the sequence of what cyliders have to be TDC, but the general rule is tighten the nut down until there is no play between the push rod and the rocker arm, and add one turn. Good idea to soak the lifters in oil for a while first... if you are replacing any.<br /><br />Someone else may have a better idea though.

Bondo

Staff member

And when I come to torquing them down my book says 22ftlbs and then 75 degrees more for the long bolts 65 for medium and 55 for short. I estimated, is there a better way to go about this?<br />
Snap-On, or Sears Craftsman have a Degree/Torque Adapter, which is quite Reasonably priced......<br />Just Guessing just Might cause Major Problems, Later.........

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, I'll drop by sears to see if they have the degree thingy.

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class

you will need all new head bolts.<br />the degree of torgue type aren't supposed<br />to be reused.<br />bolt stretch they say changes,<br />not my idea, manufactures.