HELP !! 1973 Merc. 50 hp How much cooling water emits ?

mrmaxximus

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1973 16 ft. Starcraft Boat with a 1973 Mercury 50 hp outboard (4 cyl.). It starts right up and runs good, but I don't get a lot of water coming out of the exhaust/water port. Am I supposed to get alot of water coming out or is a misting of water along with the exhaust enough? Seems to me when I usually see outboards, they are streaming water out the back. Is this what mine is supposed to do, or is mine designed differently? If it is supposed to be spitting out more water, what is the likely cause (water pump?) and are they something I can do myself? Thanks for any help you can give me.

dirty d

Cadet
Re: HELP !! 1973 Merc. 50 hp How much cooling water emits ?

I might be able to help with my little knowledge. If all your getting is a mist, as in spray bottle mist it might be the hose is clogged. There are only few possibilities starting with your lower unit water impeller which pumps the water to the motor. Your motor may be equiped with a thermostat which as you probably know can stick shut, or even part way shut. After the stat opens up water circulates and comes out the hole in the back.

CDT

Cadet

With my 1971 Merc 500 there is a fairly steady stream of water coming out of the back of my motor. And i just replaced my impeller and impeller housing. My only advice is to flush water thru the water lines of your motor maybe its clogged up with ****.

Does anyone know if these motors run a thermostat and where they are located if they do ?

merc850

Commander

Did the PO install a new impeller? If not you should do it, it is easy and it will give you a chance to see what else is happening with the water pump; those motors do not have thermostats.