Verado 150 vs Verado 200 programming

I am a new boat owner and new to the forum, so to start,"Hello". My new boat, of which I take delivery next week I hope, is powered by a Verado 150. After reviewing the Mercury website, I see that the Verado 200 is the same number of cylinders, same displacement, same bore, same stroke, same gear case ratio, same weight, same, same, same. Is the only difference in computer programming? If so, can I have mine reprogrammed? I guess I'll learn how stupid my question is after the first few replies, but I'm no mechanic and in theory, I'd like to think for a little cash and a few minutes on a computer, I could get 50 more ponies. Thanks in advance for the info.

Re: Verado 150 vs Verado 200 programming

I would think so, I would think the only thing you would need would be a 200 PCM.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The 200 Verado was produced as a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder. Your 150 is a 4 cylinder and all the parts are the same except for the PCM which is $3000. Also dont know of any company that can reprogram the "map" in this PCM at this time.

Awesome to know!! Although I'm not surprised it's so expensive, I am very disappointed. Oh well, I guess they'd never sell 200's if it were any less. I may keep an eye out for a trashed 200 I can buy for "scrap", and get the PCM out of it. Fat chance of that though I bet.