Waxing your boat

yetiman

Seaman
Do you guys wax your hull regularly? If so what wax do you recommend and do you use a electric buffer or by hand. Thanks

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Waxing your boat

Wax about twice a year, by hand.

GlasV162

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just tried a great product--Meguiar's Flagship premium wax. It gave a great shine but I don't know how long it will last. Before waxing, I used Meguiar's Oxidation Remover and it made my old '78 Glastron look showroom new. Good luck.

1fast6

Seaman

I wax mine every time after use with wax-it-dry. About twice a year I use a quality hand wax.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I used to Rub it out each Feb followed by a coat of wax, then more wax every month, This season I got WAY lazy and we just take it out. Not as pretty as she should be but it floats!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I wax mine once a year with Collinite Fleet Wax. I wax the first of March, then appily a second application a week later. Stays on the entire season. The trick is to use nothing except soap and water to clean up.

Last March I applied Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845) to see how it worked. Mind you, this is a boat that sits uncovered 4-6 months out of the year. It's been 15 months and you can still see your reflection off the hull.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Painted x1 with AwlGrip. No wax needed. Ever.

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since I wax mine all the time I use the little wax buffer. I wash by hand and apply with the buffer but take it off by hand.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Collinite 925 Fibreglass wax is the best I've used. Meguiars Flagship is pretty good too. Either one I use twice a year (or more because Im obsessive, lol).

yetiman

Seaman

Thanks for the info guys, think I'll try Meguiars Flagship

NYBo

Admiral

I don't plan to wax the wetted surfaces of my hull. That actually increases drag (well, a little bit), and my boat needs all the help it can get!:redface:

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

Just did a coat of Meguiar's one coat cleaner/wax, and it did a fantastic
job of shining up where fading was starting. Used a 10" buffer. 3 different pads.
:D:D:D

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What do you guys do around pinstriping or decals? Wax over or try to avoid?

Cheers

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i wax with black magic, smells kind of like pineapples and coconuts so when i get done i usually want to eat :) then about an hour after waxxing it i have this stuff that is like armour all ment for vinal and fiberglass ect.. spray a little and rub that in like your washing a window with windex. leaves it extreamly smooth and twice as shiney.

chriscraft254

Commander

Woody's Wax is my preferance, compound first then wax at beginning of season. I use there new triple XXX wax. Easy to apply. Wax every couple mounths if you can. No wax lasts a year! Just because you have a shine, doesn't mean you have the protection. Starbright with Ptef is also very good. Collinite is good, but do not let it dry when applying.

chriscraft254

Commander

Wax over your pinstripes, will protect it and make it last longer.

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wax right over the top of decals and stripes. I use Maquires or Starbright once a year.
What do you guys do around pinstriping or decals? Wax over or try to avoid?

Cheers

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to clay bar mine this year. Boat is in the garage, wife spray painted lawn furniture in garage, overspray on my car and the boat. Her car was not in the garage. Wife still alive.