How to keep low speed jet from repeatedly clogging

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Honda 8HP BF8AM. At end of last season, wouldn't idle at all, and stalled when put in gear unless revved up too high. I cleaned the carb, including the center hole on low speed jet, put all new fuel lines on motor, new fuel hose from tank, new fuel filter, cleaned tank well (it is plastic), new fuel pump diaphragm (plus other things unrelated to fuel). Worked well in garbage can of water, idled smoothly, shifted to F and R and didn't stall. I put StaBil in every tank full, but am forced to use 10% ethanol gas.

Put it on boat last week, and same thing as last season happened. After fooling around for maybe 30 mins, I removed low speed jet, sprayed with carb cleaner, gently poked center hole with thin copper wire strand, reinstalled. Worked fine after that.

So, is there any known way to protect that jet? Like maybe some optional super effective fuel filter? What's the expert verdict on whether to let engine die after removing fuel line, or simply shut it down and leave fuel in carb?
Thanks! Peter

pvanv

Admiral
Re: How to keep low speed jet from repeatedly clogging

Run the carb dry at the end of each and every day.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If it's a 2 stroke horse the carb clog issue is worst, run dry as recommenden by Paul. Being doing same for years and haven't dismantle a carb for interior cleaning once, happily we do not use ethanol mixed gasolines.

Happy Boating

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks both. It's a 4 stroke.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Happened to me on my 6 HP 4 stroke the one time I forgot to run it dry. It sat for about 3 weeks on my sailboat and the low speed clogged up. I haven't made that mistake since, run it dry every time.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks - will do.

Wonder what actually goes on in there that clogs these jets? Is it dirty gas with tiny particles?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Clean, change all fuel filters if needed, using ethanol mixed fuels contributes to faster foulling, ethanol disolves rubber parts that are carried along fuel line into carb, better run carb dry after use.

Happy Boating

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks - will do.

Wonder what actually goes on in there that clogs these jets? Is it dirty gas with tiny particles?

Shouldn't be dirty gas since there is a fuel filter in the line between the tank connection and the fuel pump.

Gasoline (with or without ethanol) is very volatile, meaning it evaporates fairly quick compared to other substances like water or diesel fuel. When the gas evaporates it can and does leave deposits behind. That ends up clogging the low speed jet, mainly because its a very small hole compared to the float valve or the high speed jet.

Had this happen to my generator (14 HP single cylinder Briggs and Stratton), and a 2 stroke 50cc scooter that I owned. In both cases, I had to take the carb out, and thoroughly clean it before the engines ran properly again.

JTC2011

Recruit

After reading the previous posts, I now realize that my 2001 Honda 9.9 needs to have the low speed jet cleaned. How easy is it to remove the low speed jet?

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

After reading the previous posts, I now realize that my 2001 Honda 9.9 needs to have the low speed jet cleaned. How easy is it to remove the low speed jet?

On the BF8AM, it is easy - you just unscrew it, no need to remove carb from engine. Just don't drop it in the water.