'73 Merc 850 - throttle cable attaching to engine

mjc_lakedweller

Recruit
CABLE.jpgSET SCREW.jpgProject with 1973 Larson shark and 73 Merc almost done. Thing is that I am having trouble with throttle cables attaching to motor. I know how the brass barrels fit and how to adjust beginning in Nuetral. However, call it a brain fart, but cannot get these cables to connect to motor properly. The lower cable (see pics) will not go on due to the set screw that holds the cable in place is sticking out just enough to prevent me from putting over bolt. The upper cable whch gets attached to throttle arm I am missing the two set screws and inside threaded collar part. Sure I can buy new cables but don't like to mess with the control box if I don't have to. Any suggestions out there?

MillerSVT

Cadet
Re: '73 Merc 850 - throttle cable attaching to engine

I have the same motor, and I can't remember what my lower cable looked like. But the throttle one is attached using a spring loaded bolt and a "captive" nut. I put captive in quotes because the throttle arm is molded to hold it securely from spinning, but when I went to push in the spring loaded bolt to start it, it gave me problems for a few minutes.

Double check that you didn't switch the gear shift and throttle cables, because the one to the left in your pic looks exactly like my throttle cable.

MillerSVT

Cadet

Actually I'm almost positive you have them switched, the cable without the screws would allow the dowel pin to slide into it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The shift cable end rides on the shift slider pin, not the bolt. There is a cast fitting that uses the bolt and a nut to hold the cable onto the pin. The cast fitting looks sorta like a peanut shell, with a hollow center for a nut.

Maybe you can get a new set screw at a junkyard? Actually, they might be standard as I have seen them on other outboard motors and used to stop stranded throttle cables, like on lawnmowers. Maybe a lawnmower shop or Johnnyrude Dealer?

merc850

Commander

Both cables should have the wire clamp in them; you can check at a marina and see if they have one - maybe a Merc dealer and see if he has the clamp assembly that holds the big hole onto the slider. That is the shift cable and if you slide the slider into neutral and put the control into neutral the cable should drop on.

mjc_lakedweller

Recruit

Guess I'm still a little confused. I would assume that both cables would need the set screw to hold cable. Is there another item I need like a bracket. Does anyone have a pic or can take a pic to give me a visual. Much appreciated you guys are great and so are the old motors.

MillerSVT

Cadet

The problem I have with your logic is that the cable on the right doesn't look like it's threaded for a set screw. Maybe I just can't see it.

I would suggest getting a manual, I've been meaning to do that soon as well.

If I wasn't so busy all weekend I could take a pic of mine and help you out, maybe next week if you're still having trouble! PM me you # and maybe I can try and take one and send it to you this weekend.

mjc_lakedweller

Recruit

ZZZ.jpgIt is not the plastic that is threaded. There is a threaded collar with a cross-section hole for the cable to go thru that fits into the plastic hole--at least that is the way the other cable is. I've since gone to the hardware store and purchased three different things, however, have yet to try. BTW I do have a Seloc manual, however no pictures or reference to cables attaching to motor just the control box. :facepalm: I guess I will just make it easier on myself and by new cables...argh!

Redneckhick

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 76 850 and just removed the cables and the one on the bottom did not have a set screw only the top one. on the lower cable the top that is held on with the bolt had a pin that went into the hole.

mjc_lakedweller

Recruit

how then does the cable get secured or fasted to gear shift? Would it just slide forward and back when putting into gear. It seems like something needs to hold the cable in place. I know that the plastic sleeve will be bolted down but that does not mean the cable would not slip.

Redneckhick

Seaman Apprentice

You should have a round piece on each cable housing end that is threaded onto the cable housing end. This is how you adjust the cables and it also keeps the housings from moving. I will try to get some pictures and post them.