Add power steering, what do i need?

knotperfect

Seaman
I have embarked on a full restore on a 1977 Wellcraft project. My 350 shortblock is in hand and I am switching to center risers. I was looking for a bracket for my alternator and was told that I will definately be looking for power steering, so buy the ps/alt bracket now. My boat is 35 years old and does not have power steering. I am going from an 898 (5.0) to a 5.7. I never had the boat in the water since I bought it as a project. Do I need power steering? What pieces/parts do I need besides the obvious (pump, actuator, hoses). At the moment, I plan to re-install the pre-alpha transom assy, gimbal, and outdrive. I have time before I install and I am pretty good about scrounging good used parts. Any detailed direction on how to move forward or with help on specific application is appreciated.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Add power steering, what do i need?

If the hull is 17 feet long probably not, if the hull is 28 feet, probably.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Add power steering, what do i need?

I have embarked on a full restore on a 1977 Wellcraft project. My 350 shortblock is in hand and I am switching to center risers. I was looking for a bracket for my alternator and was told that I will definately be looking for power steering, so buy the ps/alt bracket now. My boat is 35 years old and does not have power steering. I am going from an 898 (5.0) to a 5.7. I never had the boat in the water since I bought it as a project. Do I need power steering? What pieces/parts do I need besides the obvious (pump, actuator, hoses). At the moment, I plan to re-install the pre-alpha transom assy, gimbal, and outdrive. I have time before I install and I am pretty good about scrounging good used parts. Any detailed direction on how to move forward or with help on specific application is appreciated.

Ayuh,.... Find a frozen motor that been replaced with a bobtail motor replacement...
You'll have all the bracketry, wiring, 'n ALL those parts that drive the price of yer project through the roof...

Find a Rotten hull, with a frozen motor in it, 'n Up-date the drive to 1984 or Newer....
And,... You'll get ALL the parts for the motor with it...