unknown Mercury 115 alarm

fishinfanatic

Recruit
I am sorry but I have to repost this problem because I am having trouble finding a solution and getting a response. I find forums are the best place to look when trying to resolve an issue that I am unfamiliar with so if you have an idea of what I can do to resolve this issue it would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time trying to post one of my problems and I have researched by looking on several related threads but cannot find one that sounds specific to my issue.

I have a flats boat with a 2005 115hp Optimax. This weekend I spent some time snook and tarpon fishing and ran into an issue with my outboard. When the boat was purchased several months ago, the first time I took it on the water I wanted to test out the top end. I ran it for a while then decided to top it out. When I did an alarm sounded and I slowed the engine down and it went away immediately. The alarm didn't go off for some time after that. This weekend we were needing to run pretty skinny but the alarm continually sounded when planed out. It even would throttle the engine down to idle and off plane keeping us from being able to run to shallow. But then once I pulled the throttle back the alarm would stop and I could get back up. Then it wouldn't happen for a while. It was very intermittent but when it was happening it would happen a lot and it seemed to progressively get worse.

The buzzer itself is located in the console. It is a small plastic cylinder with a hole in it with several wires running into it but I don't know where the sensor is. The engine pisses very strong and it doesn't seem to weaken at all when on plane. Oil was fine and being used up by the engine. I feel as if the motor is fine but that it just may be a screwed up sensor but I have no idea where to start looking.

Do you have an idea what I should start with?

Jake_MN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: unknown Mercury 115 alarm

Continuous beep or intermittent beep? Continuous is overheating, intermittent is an oil injection issue.

fishinfanatic

Recruit

It is a continuous beep. It is using oil and pissing great...could it be a faulty sensor or could it still be in the waterpump?

Jake_MN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It certainly could be a faulty sensor. If you're getting flow at the telltale and it's not steaming hot then you'd have reason to suspect the sensor is at fault. But it's not worth screwing around with. Replace the sensor, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than gambling with your powerhead.