Looking at a 1990 Wellcraft Eclipse 233, worth it? $7900

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Trailer: A near mint eagle bunk style trailer with alloy rims. Trailer looks like new with original paint, tires are VERY dry rotted & junk. Axle has only rear brakes so I would need to add to front axle to be in PA laws.

Boat: Mechanically appears good w/ new bellows & water pump. Engine runs excellent! Most all electric stuff works too. Owner has kept it 17 yrs and it looks like it has been well maintained. White vinyl is a little cracked here and there but well intact. Exterior is free of rubs, and gouges, but the red gelcoat is very very faded. Looks nice and shiney, so I do not beleive it will come back.......

**On Edit: Engine is a merc 350, alpha one gen one**

THE BAD: The covers are crap. The bimini cover is shredded, and the regular cover is intact but very stiff and old. I bet these are expensive to replace??????? Gelcoat is a real bummer, as it will not buff out. Tires need replaced before the trip home.

I agree that $7900 is high, but what is a ballpark figure to shoot for? I apologize the pics I have are so bad, I wasn't going to waste the time posting them.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Looking at a 1990 Wellcraft Eclipse 233, worth it? $7900

What engine?

Yes, covers are VERY expensive to replace... at least the ones from canvas shops. $500-$700. Going to be a ***** to buff out as well. Depending on engine I would pay 6500 if it was in pristine condition.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That would have helped. Its a 350 chevy, alpha one gen one.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

Judging by your signature information you probably already know this, but GET THE BOAT PROFESSIONALLY SURVEYED NO MATTER WHAT.

And be DAMN SURE he checks the floor, stringers, cabin top (trunk) and transom (and all other wood) very very very carefully.

Those Wellcraft years are notorious for rot. And since he apparently has no canvas... well you can assume it's been stored uncovered at least some of the time (leading cause of boat rot).

Around here, if it had Mercruiser Alpha 1 (gen 1? gen 2?) on a 260 hp 350 block, all in excellent condition with receipts for any recent work... I'd still not give you more than $5k for it. There are too many boats still available at better prices. Anything smaller than a 260 hp and I'd definitely pass it up.

Where are you located?

You'll want trim tabs, too, on a boat that size. Does it have them? What else is on it equipment wise?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Judging by your signature information you probably already know this, but GET THE BOAT PROFESSIONALLY SURVEYED NO MATTER WHAT.

And be DAMN SURE he checks the floor, stringers, cabin top (trunk) and transom (and all other wood) very very very carefully.

Those Wellcraft years are notorious for rot. And since he apparently has no canvas... well you can assume it's been stored uncovered at least some of the time (leading cause of boat rot).

Around here, if it had Mercruiser Alpha 1 (gen 1? gen 2?) on a 260 hp 350 block, all in excellent condition with receipts for any recent work... I'd still not give you more than $5k for it. There are too many boats still available at better prices. Anything smaller than a 260 hp and I'd definitely pass it up.

Where are you located?

You'll want trim tabs, too, on a boat that size. Does it have them? What else is on it equipment wise?

My marine surveyor is jammed until the end of july. I was able to get into the area's and inspect, & found no soft areas in the bilge, floor, or cuddy. Owner kept in a garage, and only slipped it 4 yrs. No bottom paint & drive is not badly corroded so I beleive he is truthful. No trim tabs but this model planes fast with 5 people, I can add them later. Makes me nervous of not being able to get a survey.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Your wife called and told me to tell you that you're not allowed to buy any more boats :p

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless you get a survey !!

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ha....... Actually the boats in my sig all need some form of major repair. Repair I will do eventually and pedal, but in the meantime I wanna be on the water!!!!!!!!!!!

Any surveyors in NY or OH that is within 100 miles of Erie, PA?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My friend just sold his 1990 Eclipse 233 which was in great condition for $4000, however that was minus the trailer and in South Carolina. Hope that gives a ball park

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Although this is a model of boat I really like, I can;t understand why these go so high. Other brands like sea ray, bayliner, four winns, etc in the same size range go cheaper.