are automotive heads ok to use on a marine app?

hi, my friend at work says the marine heads for a chevy 350 have more cooling passage than a car head...is he right?

my motor is shot and has the 14101083 head on it...im looking at purchasing a friends car engine. i know i must use alt, dist, fuel pump, etc. but wondering about heads.btw boat will never see salt water. thank you all in advance!

bbgun24

Seaman
Re: are automotive heads ok to use on a marine app?

I am replacing my 4.3L with a long block from an S-10 right now and the heads are the same. Some say to change the head gaskets as marine gaskets are designed to come in contact with water. My boat will never see salt water as well so Im not gonna worry about changing them. Im pretty sure the 350's would be the same way. I highly doubt they made separate heads just to use for boats. Im sure some other experts will chime in shortly.

ljsweeney

Seaman

I could be wrong, but I thought any component that comes into direct contact with raw water needs to be a marine grade part, not automotive. Automotive components are designed to be in contact with a water/antifreeze mix, not raw water. Modern antifreeze contains additives that prevent corrosion - raw water, not so much.

Like I said, I could be wrong. Let's see what an actual expert says.

CobiaXL

Banned

No difference...Good luck with your build..You seem to know that dizzy,alt,starter are designed for marine use because of spark arrestors.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Your friend is wrong. Most of the heads used on a GM marine engine were intended for use in a truck.
The casting number you provided decodes as this;
1987 14101083 350 1.94 1.5001 - EFI

If you are going to use a car engine you need to match it to what your pulling. You need to find out if the engine you are pulling has a 1 piece or 2 piece rear main seal, which would dictate if your flywheel will work or not. You need to be sure that the car engine has a provision to run a mechanical fuel pump if thats what you have. You need to swap the cam in the car engine to a marine cam. You may also find that a 1987/88 or later car engine has a roller cam, while your engine is flat tappet. If any if this previously mentioned stuff is not the same, it can be overcome, but at a price.

You also need to change the core plugs from steel to brass, and use marine head gaskets.

Heres food for thought; http://www.rapidomarine.com/default.aspx?p=/engines/default.aspx
Comes with a warranty, no head scratching, no looking for parts, you get exactly what you need with brand-new performance.

Good luck!

skargo

Banned

Yep, I just ordered one from Rapido myself yesterday.

ljsweeney

Seaman

I could be wrong, but I thought any component that comes into direct contact with raw water needs to be a marine grade part, not automotive. Automotive components are designed to be in contact with a water/antifreeze mix, not raw water. Modern antifreeze contains additives that prevent corrosion - raw water, not so much.

Like I said, I could be wrong. Let's see what an actual expert says.

I was thinking head gasket when I wrote my post, but never wrote 'head gasket'.

I swear, I'm losing my mind.

Carry on and good luck.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I have automotive gaskets throughout mine. No problems. I also use steel freeze plugs no problem. I am a fresh water boater who drains and flushes my mill though. Also have had a few car engines in boats no problem with the cam either.

Bondo

Staff member

hi, my friend at work says the marine heads for a chevy 350 have more cooling passage than a car head...is he right?

my motor is shot and has the 14101083 head on it...im looking at purchasing a friends car engine. i know i must use alt, dist, fuel pump, etc. but wondering about heads.btw boat will never see salt water. thank you all in advance!

Ayuh,... Yer Bud, is full of it...

There's Lot'sa Chevy heads, 'n none of 'em are anymore Marine, than any other...