Ethanol free gas? Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer
Where do you guys get this stuff? According to pure-gas.org there's no place remotely close to Toledo that sells it. It appears that only a few marinas in ohio even sell it.

Is all summer blend gas ethanol free?

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ethanol free gas? Where?

There's a few marinas around north Texas that sells the stuff but it's getting harder to find. My truck gets an additional 1.2 mpg using non-ethanol and my boat (540 cid BBF) has a noticable power gain using the same octane pump gas but with without ethanol.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

pure-gas relies on user contributes... So take it with a grain of salt. Ethanol isn't a mandate in my state and labeling requirements are, so roughly 99% of the stations have 87 and 91 octane as non-ethanol with 10% ethanol sold as 89. There are only about a dozen listed on the pure-gas site.

robert graham

Admiral

Doubtful.

Run Stabil in your tank and install a water separating fuel filter and don't worry about it.

My 2nd on that!...I've run ethanol gas for years with no problems at all, never even know it was in there!

Brewman61

Ensign

I live in MN, which is in bed with the corn industry. We have 10% ethanol year round. Many ethanol plants around here.
E85 is available at several places, too.

Our former governor was pushing for E15 and E20!

Since MTBE (or whaever that banned gasoline oxydizer was called) is out, ethanol is a readily available substitute.

We can get ethanol free gas (seemingly only premium grade) at several locations near me, and at the marina on my lake as well. It's only supposed to be used for "specialty" engines, like boats, etc....., and it costs about $0.50 or more per gallon than premium with 10% alcohol. Except at the marina, where it's at least a buck higher.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Doubtful.

Run Stabil in your tank and install a water separating fuel filter and don't worry about it.

Stabil rids gas of ethanol? Or just prevents the water induced damage?

I've been having a slight problem with restarting my 4.3 when its warm, which appears to be a leaky carb needle/seat... but its frustrating and would like to eliminate any chance of vapor lock once fixed.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Stabil rids gas of ethanol? Or just prevents the water induced damage?

From their site:

Marine Formula STA-BIL

America's #1 Selling Marine Fuel Additive Brand!
BEST Ethanol Blended Fuel Enhancer!
More than FOUR TIMES the Fuel System Cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL
DOUBLE the corrosion preventer than in Regular STA-BIL
Prevents corrosion from moisture & water attraction
Improves marine engine performance YEAR-ROUND, not just for seasonal storage

oldjeep

Admiral

From their site:

Marine Formula STA-BIL

4 times the fuel system cleaner - LOL. They must be talking about the ethanol.

I've got some stuff that I put in my tank to repell elephants, must be working havn't seen an elephant on the lake yet ;)

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

From their site:

Marine Formula STA-BIL

Sorry, but I just found the bolded part quite funny as ethanol is one of the best cleaners out there for a fuel system. Now with Stabil, you're adding even more cleaners? Hope like heck you don't have any sort of junk/scum/buildup in your tank....and are running filters all over the place.

On the other hand, I see this as just one more "ethanol is the debil" fear and doubt thread. Too bad we've (U.S. residents) been using ethanol in our gas for a couple of decades already.....but it wasn't labeled like it is required to be now.

What's even funnier are the "This was caused by ethanol" posts....like a motor made by a major manufacturer in the last 15-20 years would have any problem handling ethanol.....Yamaha comes to mind as a recent "point of proof" in another thread, while the pics in that thread clearly show no rubber disintegration at all (gasket/diaphragm), just crap that likely came from the tank.

Really, all of you that hate/fear ethanol (quite sheep-like IMHO) must think that car manufacturers, who are able and have been able to deal with ethanol in their machines effectively and have been for over 20 years, have some super special engineers on their staff, and must also think that outboard manufacturers are so clueless that they are unable to design their motors to handle ethanol. Even Yamaha, a company that produces car, motorcycle and boat engines, has been called out repeatedly about the dreaded "ethanol damaged my Yamaha OB", yet they can deal with ethanol in their car and motorcycle engines but are unable to produce an outboard that can run ethanol without damage.

The ignorance that passes as rational thought is astounding.

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aviation gas is alcohol free. Check your local airport.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, but I just found the bolded part quite funny as ethanol is one of the best cleaners out there for a fuel system. Now with Stabil, you're adding even more cleaners? Hope like heck you don't have any sort of junk/scum/buildup in your tank....and are running filters all over the place.

On the other hand, I see this as just one more "ethanol is the debil" fear and doubt thread. Too bad we've (U.S. residents) been using ethanol in our gas for a couple of decades already.....but it wasn't labeled like it is required to be now.

What's even funnier are the "This was caused by ethanol" posts....like a motor made by a major manufacturer in the last 15-20 years would have any problem handling ethanol.....Yamaha comes to mind as a recent "point of proof" in another thread, while the pics in that thread clearly show no rubber disintegration at all (gasket/diaphragm), just crap that likely came from the tank.

Really, all of you that hate/fear ethanol (quite sheep-like IMHO) must think that car manufacturers, who are able and have been able to deal with ethanol in their machines effectively and have been for over 20 years, have some super special engineers on their staff, and must also think that outboard manufacturers are so clueless that they are unable to design their motors to handle ethanol. Even Yamaha, a company that produces car, motorcycle and boat engines, has been called out repeatedly about the dreaded "ethanol damaged my Yamaha OB", yet they can deal with ethanol in their car and motorcycle engines but are unable to produce an outboard that can run ethanol without damage.

The ignorance that passes as rational thought is astounding.

Just as bad as the ignorance of not comprehending posts. Show me where I said I was concerned about the ethanol or any cleanser removing gunk from the fuel tank. Show me where I said I was worried about the water induced damage that can occur or it harming rubber gaskets.

The location of my fuel pump and lines have made it prone to vapor lock in certain situations. That is the reason I asked. And yes I know what reid vapor pressure is and my state requirements. There is no sanctions for it. Hence why no ethanol would be beneficial.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This thread was fine and just asking honest questions. There are like 900 ethanol threads going on right now though many of which aren't so fine. Everyone chill out.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Ethanol is one of the best "Cleaners" out there? Ya, okay bud....why is it that my throttle body on my truck is gummed up.....?

Go ahead, spread more lies concerning ethanol..lol.

BTW, I use Chevron fuel for both my truck and boat.

oldjeep

Admiral

Ethanol is one of the best "Cleaners" out there? Ya, okay bud....why is it that my throttle body on my truck is gummed up.....?

Most likely because all the accumulated crap that the ethanol is cleaning out of your fuel system is winding up there. Or you've just got a pcv or breather that dumps into the intake tube for the TB and your motor is spitting a lot of oil into the TB.

oldjeep

Admiral

But in answer to the original question - depends on where you live. In MN you can find it at most lake marinas and some gas stations (only available for non road use - boats, snowmobiles, classic cars, etc)

Personally I never use the non ethanol - mostly because I've got the mixture on my carb setup for E10 and switching to pure gas makes it run too rich.

That is an important thing to remember when you have a non fuel injected engine - that an ethanol gas will require a richer mixture than pure gas for the boat to be happy. Lots of the performance complaints you hear are from people who are either flipping back and forth or switched to using E10 without taking into account that there is less energy in it, so they are running lean. For big motors like my buddies 502 powered drag car you may even need to rejet.

Status
Not open for further replies.