Minnkota 40lb thrust Maximum electric trolling motor, runs intermittently

gophernorsk

Recruit
My motor (4 yrs. old, moderately used/6-7hours a day-5 days a year) will not start by itself when in the water but will sometimes when out of the water if i help turn the propeller first. When in the water it seem as if it does not get enough electricity to make it run. When I have it out of the water and turn the propeller with it turned off I can feel a slight even resistence in the propeller, as if brushes (that is if there are brushes in motor-I'm not sure) are in contact with something orr perhaps a ball bearing is worn. It is only a very slightly noticeable resistance but I feel it is not right. I have also read that a maintence issue is vacuming/blowing out carbon dust from the brushes that has accumulated in the motor-comments?
I have had th cover off the top and can see no problems there, nor in the handle contact.
Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minnkota 40lb thrust Maximum electric trolling motor, runs intermittently

Remove the prop and check for fishing liine wrapped tightly around the shaft close to the housing. In extreme cases this line can cut the seal allowing water into the housing. If there is no fish line, reinstall the prop and turn it by hand. You should feel a slight repeated jerkiness as the prop turns. This is the action of the armature passing the magnets and is perfectly normal. If you have to help the motor get started, there is very likely some issue with it and that is typically a tight bearing or fish line. Make sure the battery is fully charged and that all connections are clean and tight. With that little use, the motor should not need to be opened just to vacuum it.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Remove the prop and check for fishing liine wrapped tightly around the shaft close to the housing.

Yup..

gophernorsk

Recruit

Remove the prop and check for fishing liine wrapped tightly around the shaft close to the housing. In extreme cases this line can cut the seal allowing water into the housing. If there is no fish line, reinstall the prop and turn it by hand. You should feel a slight repeated jerkiness as the prop turns. This is the action of the armature passing the magnets and is perfectly normal. If you have to help the motor get started, there is very likely some issue with it and that is typically a tight bearing or fish line. Make sure the battery is fully charged and that all connections are clean and tight. With that little use, the motor should not need to be opened just to vacuum it.

Thanks for the tips, no fishing line. As I live in Norway it took me a little time to find a socket wrench in inches and when I got the motor housing opened there was about 2 tbs. of mud and 1/2 a cup of water in it!. I forgot to mention that I had noticed water in it as I had turned the motor upside down to screw off the top when water ran out!! I think I'll change the brush assembly as they appear to be more than half gone.
Wonder If/how I should clean the armature as their is some surface rust on it, the axle turns smoothly and freely.
Seems that one of the rubber gaskets on one of the two long screws holding the assembly together is rather damaged, probable leakage there, otherwise I don't see how water could leak in although it has.