1st boat - Looking at 2000 SX195 5.0 Volvo

paradiddle

Cadet
I am looking at a 2000 SX195 with Volvo 5.0 and SX Penta. Price is $7900 with trailer and some accessories as bimini top, covers, gps. etc. any opinions? Salt water boat. I live on Florida Gulf coast intercoastal and bay with occasional open water use.

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1st boat - Looking at 2000 SX195 5.0 Volvo

Probably would be a decent boat as long as it's been maintained. If you haven't priced it out on NADA Guides already, be sure to do that so you can get a sense for its value (don't forget to price the trailer separately). Then use any noticable damage as leverage to talk the price down. Definitely take it out for a test run as well to be sure it starts up good and doesn't have any performance issues. Good luck.

jkust

Rear Admiral

If you haven't priced it out on NADA Guides already, be sure to do that so you can get a sense for its value (don't forget to price the trailer separately). Then use any noticable damage as leverage to talk the price down. Definitely take it out for a test run as well to be sure it starts up good and doesn't have any performance issues. Good luck.

All good advice except at least here in MN NADA values are indescribably inappropriate and bold faced lies at least for bowriders. The NADA values are so low you'd get laughed out the door if you tried basing any cogent argument from them. Everything from cars to boats costs more up here and so my region may be very different than yours. The value is simply what you are willing to pay. The fact is the SX series is a very entry level boat but most I have seen generally come with the 5.0 which is nice. I see many early 2000's models here for sale at any given time. If my quick glance is correct that 19 foot boat weighs just over 2000 lbs plus a bit more with the v8. That is hands down the lightest 19 footer I've ever seen meaning a rougher ride for that open water use you mentioned. A light hull is punishing but fast on top end. In general, with a broad brush, the heavier the boat the more expensive it is. Start with Cobalt and Chaparral dry weights and move down the scale and there is almost a perfect correlation of price to weight (and also gas tank size to price as well). This is a little less true with the contemporary boats out there as even Bayliner has caught up. My point being if you are going to shell out the $, get a heavier 19 foot hull for a better ride. My 18 foot boat with only a v6 weighs almost 1000lbs more than your 19 foot target boat. At least here you see the heavier hulls on the bigger water because they handle it better. Just my 2 cents.

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

All good advice except at least here in MN NADA values are indescribably inappropriate and bold faced lies at least for bowriders. The NADA values are so low you'd get laughed out the door if you tried basing any cogent argument from them. Everything from cars to boats costs more up here and so my region may be very different than yours. The value is simply what you are willing to pay. The fact is the SX series is a very entry level boat but most I have seen generally come with the 5.0 which is nice. I see many early 2000's models here for sale at any given time. If my quick glance is correct that 19 foot boat weighs just over 2000 lbs plus a bit more with the v8. That is hands down the lightest 19 footer I've ever seen meaning a rougher ride for that open water use you mentioned. A light hull is punishing but fast on top end. In general, with a broad brush, the heavier the boat the more expensive it is. Start with Cobalt and Chaparral dry weights and move down the scale and there is almost a perfect correlation of price to weight (and also gas tank size to price as well). This is a little less true with the contemporary boats out there as even Bayliner has caught up. My point being if you are going to shell out the $, get a heavier 19 foot hull for a better ride. My 18 foot boat with only a v6 weighs almost 1000lbs more than your 19 foot target boat. At least here you see the heavier hulls on the bigger water because they handle it better. Just my 2 cents.

Agree, very good point. That's the downside to NADA....not location specific like Kelly Blue Book is for autos. You definitely have to take your location and what other similar boats in your area are selling for into consideration.