Removing an inboard

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice
I am stuck in the removal or the what i think is the (Driveshaft) (i work on cars) but a tech said to remove the 6 bolts behind on the back of the upper unit. I did and ended up removing the entire lower unit. but the upper unit with the other end of the drive shaft comes out abou an inch and then wont move anymore. How does it coem out? Does it really pull off the flywheel?

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Removing an inboard

Pull Harder. :D <br /><br />If you have the six nuts removed (you do because the drive moves) make sure you also have the hydraulic rams disconnected, and just pull harder. There are posts here up to and including tying off to a tree and pulling the boat forward on the trailer. Just make sure someone is there to catch that upper drive if you do this!

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure how you removed the lower unit when you were trying to remove the entire outboard. I just pulled mine. There are 6 nuts that hold the upper unit on the gimble unit. You must also remove the trim ram cylinders. Are you sure the unit is not hanging on the mounting studs? I'm sure my method would be frown upon, but once I had the trim rams disconnected and the 6 nuts removed, I tilted the outboard up by hand and let it drop onto its stop. I did that a couple of times and the outboard unit came right off.<br />Could be possible that the driveshaft splines are stuck in the coupler. I'm not sure if there is access to the coupler from the engine side of the transome. If there is, spray some penetrating oil on it.

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

Yes I am on the studs, but I cant figure out why it does not come all the way off. I see on the back of the motor some teeth of the shaft showing like it starting to work but nothing more. I tried gspig's frowned upton method and no change.

Make sure the drive is in Forward gear before trying to pull it out! Otherwise it wont budge....<br /><br />Jim

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

I was kinda scared to just pull harder than I am physically able (like using a tree) becuase I thought I might break something<br />I disconnected the hydro lifts lower unit and all bolts Im able with the excemtion of the mount the hold the entire unit to the boat (the part that allows it to piviot

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

Hmm forward? I diconnected all lines for the engine. I found the one the controls forward and reverse but I dont know it all the way back is forward or all the way forward

I would reconnect the shift cable to the bracket and make sure the drive is in forward. I pulled my engine and rebuilt it about 2 months ago, so I know what you are going through. Be careful pulling the drive off...would be better if you had someone helping you. If not, be sure to have something underneath to support it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Go to www.mercstuff.com Go to the "how do I" section. There is instruction on remove the pre-alpha and alpha outdrive. There is also a section on how to adjust the outdrive shift cable.

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

man, thats alot of work to reconnect the shift cables. Does anyone know if the part the shift cable shift thats located in the upper unit is "pulled to the motor, forward or reverse " or "pushed to the away from the motor, forward or reverse" I can barly see it but I see like a blue coated cable that mose what looks like a lead block back and form when shifted

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Find the cable going into the gimbal housing. Pushing the cable connector into the cable is forward.

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

forward as in the cable pulls the lead block toward or away from the engine<br />I have found the cable

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

ok I reconnected the shift cables and the only way I could reconnect it was with the shift cable all the way forward. Now the shift lever to go forward. Is this normal that when trying to disenguage the drive shaft that the lever become stuck in forward?

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Harder to describe than to show. If you lift up your outboard and look up at the bellows, on the upper housing (top gear box) there is a upside down U shaped lever. Inside the U shaped lever, there is a round rod with a flat bar on top. That rod is the shift rod. If the flat on top of the rod points straight ahead (toward the transom), the outboard is in forward. Neutral is about 45 to the left and reverse is about 90 to the left.

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

copy and past the links in a new window to view them, anglefire blocks pic shareing, anyknow another place I can put them?

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Have you managed to remove the upper unit yet? I looked at the pictures, but nothing stands out as unusual. It does look like you can see the driveshaft to coupler area, have you sprayed a nut buster oil? I could see in one pic. where your water line in the gimbal looks like it is cracking, you might want to check all the rubber there.