1997 evinrude fast trak trim pump / control valve assembly

SeaSkiff

Cadet
Hi guys,

I may have messed up. A crack in my motor housing contaminated my fluid with water. I took everything apart to clean thoroughly. The control valve /pump assembly has 4 little balls in it. I didn't diagram where they go and now I can't figure it out.

I think 2 go inside the shuttle valves and one under the plunger/spring that is labeled trim relief in the crummy manual. The fourth... Uhhhh I don't know.... :facepalm:

Does anyone have some pics or a diagram to help me out? The rest of the unit is completely rebuilt and I'm stuck here. :confused:

I know better than taking unknown things apart without pics or notes. :facepalm:

Please help.....

SeaSkiff

Cadet
Re: 1997 evinrude fast trak trim pump / control valve assembly

Does anyone know if this diagram is part of the factory manual? It's not in the Seloc. The Seloc is just barely adequate. I hate to spend $60 on a manual that isn't going to get me by this problem

Thanks.

SeaSkiff

Cadet

I ordered an Evinrude accessory manual which includes the TnT. I'll let you know if it clears anything up.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

they dont seel individual parts for that pump assy, they sell it complete only....soooooo they may not show how it comes apart in the manual. I just recieved the 97 60 degree looper service manual and it does NOT show the TNT dissasembled at ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had rebuilt my tnt unit a month ago by using my 95 manual of the same style motors...they went through all the dissasembly and replacement of seals and re assembly, they just didnt cover the internal pump assy....so I doubt your 97 manual is going to be of much help......unless the accessory manual has it inside..

good luck

bob

SeaSkiff

Cadet

I think I figured it out. Book is already on it's way but I just decided to sit down and work out the logic with the hydraulic diagram.

There are 5 balls not 4. I started thinking that there must be another after looking it over. I found it. It had fallen into the trash can next to my workbench. Lucky....

Anyway. Two small balls go into the shuttle valve cavities before they slide into the cover. One small goes under the pressure relief plunger and spring and the two larger balls go in the cone shaped cavities on either side of the pump gears in the cover. Use grease to get them to stay in there when setting the cover over the gears.

Works well on the bench. I'll let you know if it works when I put it on the boat tomorrow.

Troy.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I just got the 1997 service manual ACCESSORIES book a few minutes ago in the mail!!! I had mentioned that the service of the fast trak TNT units were explained in the manual i have for 1995, but it didnt have it in the 1997 standard service manual!! so now that i checked the accessories manual, i see they moved that into into this seperate manual....dont know why....

BUT
the bottom line is they dont go into any detail about the pump manifold.. they say it is not serviceable and to not take it apart!!!!!! ha ha

soooo when you get your manual, you will still not have any instruction to help you...

I have a bad unit that i saved for possible parts scavenging later in life if needed.... if i thought the manifold was bad, id take it apart to try and help you....but i think it is still good...

good luck

bob

SeaSkiff

Cadet

Got mine yesterday and I see you are correct. No love from this manual...

I wish I would have read that warning before tearing into it but I didn't. No worries, I think I have it figured out. Works on the bench. Going to put it on the boat this morning. We shall see...

I'll post back results.

SeaSkiff

Cadet

Worked like a champ. Very smooth and quick up and down. I don't know why they call the pump manifold unserviceable because it is very simple if you know where everything goes.

Would have been nice to have instructions or illustrations but I figured it out.

If anyone else ends up with this dilemma, let me know, I can help. :)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Worked like a champ. Very smooth and quick up and down. I don't know why they call the pump manifold unserviceable because it is very simple if you know where everything goes.

Would have been nice to have instructions or illustrations but I figured it out.

but what did you SERVICE in that pump valve???? did you clean it out? replace anything???

sounded like you just took it apart and then put it back together..

I have a spare and it would nice to know if you can troubleshoot a TNT unit to the point you say..The Valve mechanism is bad

bob

jonesg

Admiral

Great, now take it apart again and document the re-assembly with photos. :)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

My one stupid question would be, if it says in the manual "un-serviceable" why would you take it apart knowing you can't get parts for it??

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

My one stupid question would be, if it says in the manual "un-serviceable" why would you take it apart knowing you can't get parts for it??

he took it apart BEFORE he got the manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

SeaSkiff

Cadet

Bob is correct - if I had the manual first I wouldn't have taken it apart. I wish that I had taken pics now. At some point it would have helped someone.

Actually - I'm quite curious and probably would've taken it apart anyway. I have rebuilt my own automatic transmission on a couple different vehicles and they are a LOT more complicated than this valve body.

Bottom line is it has some very small orifices and the whole unit had been contaminated with water that had turned to the fluid to a milky mess. It needed to be cleaned or it was just going to contaminate the new fluid.

Troy.