Motor won't crank possible ignition switch problem

copeman5011

Cadet
I have a sea nymph with an 83 60 hp 2 cyl Mariner outboard. I had it out maybe last week and it ran. It did although stall a few times when going from neutral to forward. I'm not sure why but it seemed like it wasn't getting fuel.

Either way the new problem is today when I went to start it I primed it then turned the key...crank crank nothing. Opened the choke primed it again crank crank nothing. Seemed like it wasn't getting fuel cause it was crankin nice but wouldn't start up. Tried again and I hear a click and no crank or anything, the click was choke going back in.

So I look around, battery shows 12v, engine shows 12v, then I look at the ignition switch. Red wire shows a little less than 12v (5-10), no other terminals shows any voltage. Turn to on position red and accessory show less than 12v, everything else no volts (accessory terminal was open because they are all run by themselves). Turn all the way like I'm starting the engine and none of the terminals show any volts.

The way I see it the battery goes to the engine near the starter then the power goes off from that to the ignition (much smaller wire) then to the ignition switch in the dash. I couldn't find any fuses along the way and the ignition is a sealed box.

Anybody have any ideas? I think I'm gonna go try to find an ignition switch at a marine store tomorrow. By the time I figured this out only Auto Zone was open they didn't have what I needed but the guy said that the switch does sound like my problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motor won't crank possible ignition switch problem

The ign switch should supply power to the starter solenoid. Do you have +12VDC on the yellow/red wire on the starter solenoid? If so, the solenoid may be bad. Jumper across the larde posts of the starter solenoid and see if the motor cranks. If not, the starter or cables are bad. Don't overlook crrosion hiding under the insulation of the cables. Male sure all cables are clean and tight.

copeman5011

Cadet

I'll have to take a look at it when I get home, I'm not exactly sure where the starter solenoid is. The battery hooks directly to a little box type deal right next to the starter and it does get 12v. I ordered the Clymer book today, hopefully that will help me learn more of the parts inside the engine.

I could see corrosion being a problem since it's so old but I can't see anything bad and I don't think corrosion would cause it to go from working to nothing the way it did. It seemed like something broke or stopped working. I made sure everything was tight and wiggled stuff around, still nothing.

I really think the main problem is the ignition switch. That may not be the only problem. When I turn it to the start position I do not get volts on any of the leads, I don't see how that can be correct.

copeman5011

Cadet

Ok so I checked out the ignition switch with one of the electrical engineers at work and it is fine. I originally thought I blew a fuse but I could not find one, that is also what they suggested probably happened. I was told there should be a 20 amp fuse inside the engine and that is probably the problem. Does anybody know where exactly this fuse is?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A lot of those old Mercs did not have fuses anywhere. The "little box deal" where the battery cables connect is likely the starter solenoid.

BTW - in a 12V system, a little bit of corrosion can cause significant voltage drop. What do the connectors on the quick disconnect look like? Green with corrosion?

copeman5011

Cadet

The 7 pin (i believe) quick disconnect by the ignition box? The pins don't look bad at all, I checked that out last night. I did verify that the box i was speaking of is the solenoid. When I go home the plan is to check check battery, look again for a fuse, clean battery terminals and connections, use bolts instead of wing nuts on the terminals then try to jump across the solenoid. I also want to check the spark plugs because that may have been the reason I could not get the engine to run in the first place when I did have it cranking.

copeman5011

Cadet

Chris,

When you say to jump across the large posts on the solenoid do you mean to run a wire from the power to the ground? The one large post has a red wire and the other a black, they show 12v. It also has 2 smaller wires soldered to it, brown and black I believe but not 100% on that.

I now think my battery may be the problem, I have it charging tonight along with my old man's jumper box. If that doesn't work I'm gonna try to jump the solenoid then take the battery and starter to Auto Zone and have them tested if needed.

Today I cleaned terminals, checked fuse (20 amp was fine) and checked quick disconnect (clean and 12v) but it still won't work so I put the battery on the charger and plugged in the jump starter to charge.

Thanks for your help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If you jumper from the battery cable on the starter solenoid to the yellow wire, it will engage the solenoid, and provide power to the starter if the solenoid is good. If the starter still doesn't spin, use a wrench to connect both large cables on the solenoid together. That makes a direct connection from battery to starter. If starter spins, solenoid is bad. if starter no spin, either battery is bad, cables are bad or starter is bad.

Make sure starter is grounded to block. it has a seperate cable for the ground wire. It bolts to top bolt of cowling support on starboard side of motor