1960 25hp Sea King

TJDukit

Recruit
My father gave me a boat recently. It's a 1968 16 foot closed bow Bayliner. It has a 25hp Sea King on it.

All the information I have found on this motor says it's a 1960 Gale model number GG8834A. The serial number on this is 06X770008. I know that the motor was made by Gale for Montgomery Ward.

My dad said that the engine will run but has very little compression. I'm wondering if this motor is going to be worth my time re-building. If I can source the parts I can do it all myself. Are the parts easy enough to source? Or are they going to be too difficult to find.

This is my first boat and I'm really excited to hopefully get it re-built this summer.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1960 25hp Sea King

Exactly how did Dad determine the compression? Exactly what is it?

About half of reported "low compression" is just fine. Give us some numbers acquired in a correct compression test.

That is an excellent outboard which shares a lot of parts with other OMC models. Parts are not a problem.

I doubt that the outboard needs to be rebuilt, but you may need to rebuild it anyway, just to put your brand on it. I wouldn't unless you have clear evidence that it needs it. If it runs, as Dad says, I doubt that it needs anything more than routine maintenance.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That engine should run minimum 80lbs.psi compression. Would prefer 90psi or above. Good luck and post back and let us know how you make out!

TJDukit

Recruit

Thanks guys. I guess I'm so used to just taking my dads word on stuff like this that I didn't bother to question it. I'll get some actual compression numbers and get back to you. It would be awesome if all it needed was some maintenance then it would be a matter of freshening up the boat and getting the motor going.