Timing maybe? Aluminum shavings on the spark plug, 89 mariner 115 need help

fabrc8r

Cadet
Ran the boat on the weekend, drove great on saturday then on sunday took it to our local tank and ran it around for a while. Had it up on plane and was running nice when it felt like i hit something soft, just enough to notice. Idled through a no wake zone then back on plane... got about 100 yards in on full throttle and the engine died. Started back up but has a load knocking now. Took the spark plugs out tonight and I have what looks to be aluminum deposits on the plug fused to it. Had it running on muffs tonight, started up but idled really high like 3/4 throttle high. Ran for a bit w/ my dad who thought it was a timing thing and that when the engine heated up the piston would knock. Smoke was evident on the top spark plug port as i pulled it and noticed the deposits on the plug.. any one know what this could be? If its timing, how do i time the sucker.. if i'm better of scraping it now that it could be good and damaged let me know.

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Timing maybe? Aluminum shavings on the spark plug, 89 mariner 115 need help

It's not timing, do a compression test and you'll find that cylinder is shot. Sorry.