old pressure tanks........how dangerous??

nwcove

Admiral
are those old pressure tanks as dangerous as some would suggest? i like to have a cigar while fishing, and the thought of fuel under pressure is a lil bit scary....any comments?
id like to do the conversion but with the motor being run .....gravity feed for fuel, and a short piece of line hanging from the pressure vent (air line), i captured about 1 maybe 2 oz's of fuel in a one hour barrel run. the motor runs like a sewing machine, but i cant see a fuel pump working ok, being fed fuel on the wrong side of the diaphragm (sp)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: old pressure tanks........how dangerous??

Being a non-smoker, I suppose I would have difficulty understanding the need for a cigar. I do like to point out that no matter what type tank you have, it contains the equivalent of at least a stick of dynamite. To my line of thinking, smoking anything on a small boat is a no-no. Sure, the tank might be perfectly safe, but why take a chance?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

As long as the boat is open, any fuel fumes should dissipate. I would not smoke right next to the tank, but a few feet away is OK. People smoked a lot more in the fifties, when the tank was made.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

On a hot day a normal single line OMC metal tank will build up some pressure as well. When I open the cap on any of my "pressure tanks", or newer tanks I get the same "pfffttt". It may be under pressure, but not that many psi. And if you don't open the cap, no vapors anyway.

I smoke, drink and ............ummm have other vices as well. I often feel the need to have a beer in the boat or go in the cuddy for some.....ummm...., but anybody that lights up a smoke on my boat will get thrown overboard in quick order.

Ever see a boat go up in flames? I have.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

I saw an old Ted Williams outboard from the 50's/60's with a cigarette lighter built in it. I saw on TV where this guy was stealing gas from one of those elevated ranch gas tanks. The rancher locked the tank and put a video camera on it because of theft. This thief rolls up and breaks out the acetylene torch and proceeds to cut the lock off the tank. The end of the hose caught on fire some but that was about it. Your not going to ignite raw gas with a cigar but in some freak deal the fumes could possibly light up. Personally I would light up and enjoy the trip.

nwcove

Admiral

well, i have never seen a boat go up in flames, but i have seen the end result of alcohol combined with power sports! having a beer in the cuddy......im personally ok with that, but im sure more people have been injured or killed because of that ,than boat fires/explosions.

nwcove

Admiral

On a hot day a normal single line OMC metal tank will build up some pressure as well. When I open the cap on any of my "pressure tanks", or newer tanks I get the same "pfffttt". It may be under pressure, but not that many psi. And if you don't open the cap, no vapors anyway.

I smoke, drink and ............ummm have other vices as well. I often feel the need to have a beer in the boat or go in the cuddy for some.....ummm...., but anybody that lights up a smoke on my boat will get thrown overboard in quick order.

Ever see a boat go up in flames? I have.

well, i have never seen a boat go up in flames, but i have seen the end result of alcohol combined with power sports! having a beer in the cuddy......im personally ok with that, but im sure more people have been injured or killed because of that ,than boat fires/explosions.

I saw an old Ted Williams outboard from the 50's/60's with a cigarette lighter built in it. I saw on TV where this guy was stealing gas from one of those elevated ranch gas tanks. The rancher locked the tank and put a video camera on it because of theft. This thief rolls up and breaks out the acetylene torch and proceeds to cut the lock off the tank. The end of the hose caught on fire some but that was about it. Your not going to ignite raw gas with a cigar but in some freak deal the fumes could possibly light up. Personally I would light up and enjoy the trip.

i think i have made up my mind, relpace all the fuel lines, check for leaks, hit the lake, light a smoke, and enjoy. i do have a newer single line rude that weeps a lil bit of fuel out of the vent, on days when things are a bit rough on the water, it shouldnt be much worse than that?1

rickjm1001

Seaman

I wouldn't worry to much, I've smoked cigars while fishing and nothing has ever happened.
Your outside! Enjoy!