Battery Cable issue?

atvarnell

Recruit
I have a 1998 Bayliner 1950 I/O Mercruiser 3.0. 2 batteries on a switch.

Recently, 1 battery will no longer start the boat (#2 battery). It runs all the other electrical and only shows about 10 volts. I took it out and had it tested. It's fine. The other battery (1) starts the boat great.

I cleaned the terminals and reinstalled on the #2 battery. Same thing.

Could this be a battery cable? If so, how can I test it. I don't have a voltmeter, just a have a test light.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Battery Cable issue?

and only shows about 10 volts. I took it out and had it tested. It's fine.

Ayuh,.... At 10 volts it ain't Fine, it's discharged or dead...

At 10 volts, it's either Not charging at All, or it's Dyin'...

I don't have a voltmeter, just a have a test light.

That's a pretty serious handicap that'll preclude testin' anything...
Have you physically inspected every inch of the line,..??
Have ya removed, sanded, cleaned, 'n reinstalled All the Ends,..??

sschefer

Rear Admiral

1 cell = 2.2v 10v = 1 dead cell. It might still pass a hydrostatic test and still be bad.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Did they test it on a load bank? A battery can show 13.5v and seem fine but wont push the amps when called to do so. But it on a battery tester. If it shows good amperage, check the ground terminal first, clean it and reinstall. Then look at the power wire for bulges or discoloration, either from over heating or corroded wires.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A couple of notes:

1. You can pick up a voltmeter cheap. I have found them for $10 or less. Get one.
2. If you measure voltage on the battery measure it at the terminals. This eliminates questions about connections and cables.
3. You say 10 volts . How was it measured? If measured with no load it would be hard for the cables and connectors to be a factor.
4. How was the battery tested? Almost any auto parts store will do a load test for you.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Start the engine, then check the voltage on that battery with the battery switch set to that battery. If it is reading less than 12.6 volts it is not charging. It may also be incapable of HOLDING a charge.