Volvo 5.7 running rich, TBI

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, Got the boat out on the water yesterday for the first time. Felt good to finally be out on the water this season:D. Few things I noticed.

First off, there is no way to control the engine RPM's with out being in gear. The throttle control doesnt have a button to push, nor does it pull out to dis-engage the shift lingage. Please help.

Second. when i disconnect the TBI linkage and manually controll the TBI the motor will rev easily to 5500rpms, With a 17* Solas 3 blade prop on a 20'6" open bow boat I could not get the motor past 4400 rpms with 3 of us in the boat, all under 200 lbs. Speed in unknown because it doesnt work at this time.

Boat smells like its running rich and there appears to be excess fuel going into the TBI from what I remember my older truck using. Going from an idle to WOT the boat bogs down considerably until you back off a bit to let the engine speed up.

Thank you in advance.
Dave
I am at 4500' elevation.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 5.7 running rich, TBI

First off, there is no way to control the engine RPM's with out being in gear. The throttle control doesnt have a button to push, nor does it pull out to dis-engage the shift lingage.

Post a picture of your control. I have never heard of a single lever control without that option somewhere on the control. It might be broken, but it has one.

when i disconnect the TBI linkage and manually controll the TBI the motor will rev easily to 5500rpms
Sounds like you did this test in neutral, if you did, that is a non test and meaningless without a load.
You could get 5500 rpm with half the spark plug wires removed.

When was the last full tuneup and compression test? If you don't have good spark and compression, it's not going to run right.