help!!! i need a points gapping tool

johnny howe

Seaman
does anyone have a used points gapping tool for a 1966 mercury 950ss. i dont know what this is or how to use it, but i geuss i need one. any help would be welcome.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: help!!! i need a points gapping tool

Points are usually gapped using a feeler guage, Johnny. It has multiple blades. You select the blade that is the thickness matching the points gap you desire, put the blade between the points and adjust the "gap" to match the thickness of the feeler guage blade.

What you desperately need is an OEM Service Manual.

merc850

Commander

Should be available at an auto parts store.

johnny howe

Seaman

jb,
thanks, i have a feeler gauge. i had talked to a boat mechanic and he said i needed somesort of gauge to correctly gap them, can i just use a feeler gauge and gap them to .20? i was just going to take some pictures of the points before i took them off to try to realign them. i have seen pictures of a card with marks on it you put behind it? i have no upper power and i was thinking im running on three cylindersi can push te throttle all the way forward and attain about 10 mph i know this engine should have more power. or do you think it is linkage problem? if you get spark to all cylinders is your distributor working right? thanks

Laddies

Banned

Actually all multi cyl Mercury's before 67 were to be set up with a dwell plate. Do you need a copy of the plate? You can make a indicator arm to fasten on the dist. shaft.

Laddies

Banned

If you have a degree wheel that the dist body can fit into and make a arm to fasten to the shaft, start on the 1st set of points set with a feeler gauge at .007 for a basic setting then check it with the degree wheel if it's not 90 degrees of dwell correct the point setting. Once the 1st set is done tighten the degree plate so it can not move then set the 2nd set of points to close 60 degrees behind the 1st set and your good to go. The purpose of all this is to align the opening of the 2nd set of points perfectly with the 1st.

johnny howe

Seaman

can you fax me a picture of the dwell plate? if you have spark to all the cylinders do you think it is a points problem?

Laddies

Banned

scan0003-3.jpg

johnny howe

Seaman

hold it, it printed out 6 and 3/4 inches big. is this the correct size? although i think the degrees would be the same , right?

Laddies

Banned

The disc is 8" in diameter. If you have spark on a cyls. then it's not the points.