Yamaha 1998 115 Salt Water Series two stroke carbs stick

Rick T

Recruit
After running at or near full throttle, then throttling back, the engine will die and not restart. Removed cowl and noticed that carbs were "stuck" in almost full throttle position. Able to "unstick" by manually moving linkage for carb butterfly's to closed position. Engine will then restart and run. No noticeable restrictions, linkages seem to be free of obstructions. Cannot see any external problem. Condition is repeatable. Boat/engine was stored, but starts fine and rus great. Would appreciated any suggestions. Thanks!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 1998 115 Salt Water Series two stroke carbs stick

First thing I would do would be to find out why the carb butterflies or linkages are binding up.
But it makes no since to me why it would die, seems it would just keep running at high RPM

Rick T

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 1998 115 Salt Water Series two stroke carbs stick

Thank you for your suggestion. As I mentioned, I could not see any external butterfly or linkage problem and no maintenance/repairs were recently done on the carbs. So it might be something internal in the carbs? Also, yes the engine dies when I throttle back. Almost like it's flooding. Just wanted to see if any Yamaha owners had same condition. Thanks again for the reply!