Poor planing performance?

GregMcQ

Cadet
Not sure if this is the right section to post this in. If not, just point the way.

2009 Glastron Gt 185 Volvo Penta 4.3GL
Just did the tune up (been a mechanic for 21 years). New plugs, checked timing (1 degree btdc) boat runs like a champ except.....

I have a weird issue. The "out of the hole" performance on this boat is, for lack of a better word, horrible! Once on plane, it accelerates impressively, but off idle, its hideous. For example, 4 normal size adults, 3/4 tank of gas, engine doesnt hesitate or sputter when you hit the throttle, seems normal. Off idle speed, you hit it, stands on its transom 20~40 seconds, then starts dropping the bow and gets on plane, sometimes. Sometimes, it pops right up, about as often as it just flat wont plane at all without having someone move up front! The normal though, is bow high for 20~40 seconds.

Once up, it gets up to speed quickly and accelerates, to me, very well!

Yes I am trimmed all the way down. No, you dont hear or feel anything off on/in the motor (you hit it, goes to about 3200~3300rpm instantly, but doesnt continue to rise until it planes out then max rpm is right at 3800~3900rpm), prop has no cracks, deformities, gouges, chips, ect.

Whats throwing me the curve is the sometimes it just goes right up, and sometimes it wont plane at all! Those arent common, but they happen.

my first leaning was jetting. problem is, there is no hesitation or stutter/blubber. I checked the carb linkage also, butterflies open fully. It has the stock prop on it, and surely Glastron wouldnt have let this boat out to the public if it performed.... I should day didnt perform.... like this.

any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Pour planing performance?

What prop do you have? Alum or SS, 3 or 4 blade, and pitch?

GregMcQ

Cadet

Alum 3 blade prop, stamping on it says 14.2x23

etracer68

Ensign

If people are sitting in the rear seats, or mid seats, there may be a big differance in plane performance. It sounds like your over propped. Your rpms should be a bit higher at WOT. Sometimes depending on how many people I have in my boat I may change props before I go out.

etracer68

Ensign

I would go to a 19 pitch, you will gain about 500 rpms, and plane faster.

Brewman61

Ensign

Possibly overpropped. 23p might be a bit on the high end. Correctly propped you should be able to hit your WOT numbers, which I gotta believe are closer to 4800 rpm than the 3900 you're reporting. All assumes that engine is otherwise operating well.

GregMcQ

Cadet

Had a 160 pound male, 110 pound female on the rear seats, then my wife, 140, and me 210, in center seats. But with a 4.3.... it shouldnt be like this! And like I said, occasionally, it just planes right out great and occasionally it wont plane at all with no changes to occupants.

For example, we left the marina, idled out of the no wake zone, hit it.... took it a bit but it planed out. About 5 minutes later, hit a no wake zone, idled though it, hit it, and it just flat wouldnt plane out at all until my wife walked up front then about 15 seconds later it started dropping the bow and getting up on plane. Then coming back a bit later to the marina, hit a no wake, idled thru, hit it, it wouldnt get on plane no matter what. Let off, idled a second, hit it, did its normal 20~40 second slowly going to plane deal. We went to a different part of the lake by the marina, hit a no wake to go under the bridge, coming out, hit it, popped right up on plane.

All gauges showed normal, consistent reading as far as oil pressure and engine temp. it wasnt windy or choppy, just? This is my 4th boat, and never ran into this. Had boats under powered you had to help with weight placement, but this shouldnt be one of them.

Its so random what it does, thats what is making me scratch my head.

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did the boat ever perform right? (ie before working on it)?

Could be a spun prop, but it's prolly just too tall...

Think about the prop like the rearend of your car.. geared too high.

A prop shop should let you try a couple of different pitches.

QC

Supreme Mariner

If your tach is right, then the propeller is likely culprit as some have noted here. It may seem random, but small things could make a boat that is hard to plane (yours as is), very hard to plane. take a look at this help topic: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=295070

You could be more than 800 RPM light. What rating? Need your WOT RPM range to continue this discussion. How fast top speed? GPS preferred.

GregMcQ

Cadet

I am assuming... and we all know what that can do to you.... it is the stock prop. I am the second owner of the boat and it only had 23 hours on it, but you never know. Just cant imagine it being over propped off the showroom floor. I am trying, as I type this, to see if my local dealer has a 19 pitch in stock. Headed out of state this weekend with the boat, so have the great situation of having to move fast, which means... sigh... dealer pricing.

As far as I can tell, the motor is strong! I have alot of experience with 4.3 motors, yes, I know, truck motors, but. I find nothing wrong with carburation, or timing. Top speed, according to speedo (no gps speed available) is about 43 on relatively calm water, in foot high chop, high 30's. If they have a prop in stock, will run up and grab it and report back.

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Poor planing performance?

I have seen many boats on the showroom floor with wrong pitch props on. I have had many 17 to 19 foot boats, with around 200HP, and found that 19 pitch worked best on most. Now some boats may perform better with 17 or 21, but with your load and rpms, I personally would try a 19.

BF

Lieutenant

I wouldn't be that surprised if has been incorrectly propped all the time. 23" sounds like too much... maybe the previous owner spec'd what prop he wanted on there based on bad advice from someone.... or maybe the dealer stuck on whatever they had on hand thinking they'd swap it if the new owner complained. My dad had been running a 23" on his old glastron with a mercruiser 120 hp (before he knew better)... what a dog out of the hole. Guess what? That's what had been on the boat for years before got it! (the previous owner was my uncle).

calvinman

Seaman
Re: Poor planing performance?

We have a 17.5 glastron with the same drive, it also came with a 23" pitch prop. For our boat it works well, but I put on a four blade 21" for better low speed performance for tubing etc. It has made a big difference with almost instantanious planing and did not reduce WOT speed very much. I would like to go for some trim tabs next so we can cruise on plane below 15 mph.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Just cant imagine it being over propped off the showroom floor.
As others have noted, start imagining. Most boats are shipped to the dealer without a propeller. And many are damaged severely on the first trip, this could be the 10th propeller or the first and could be just as wrong either way.

I ran the numbers through a prop calculator (3900, 1.66 ratio, 43 MPH) and got 15% slip which is very believable, so at least your numbers are in the ballpark. If so, then it screams for a 19, and 43 MPH for a 190 is indicative of decent horsepower. Since you don't have much of a choice in a short time frame your decision to run the 19 is probably the best place to start.

Please report back, and confirm any numbers we've got here. Good for all of us to have this data right. Thanks and good luck!!

GregMcQ

Cadet

ty a ton all for the advice. I called the local Glastron dealer and explained the situation. The very first thing he said was... wait for it.... wait for it.... "wow, its got a 23 on it?!?!?" lol he said, quote "A 21 max on that boat, if it was me, I would run a 19. You will pick up about 400rpm, and it should launch off idle, mine does" hes got the same boat, but 1 year newer.

the main reason I posted in here was the random aspect was throwing me a curve.

etracer68

Ensign

Glad to here it, I have seen alot of people out on the lake plowing for 45 sec before they get on plan, and think its normal. A ss prop may be the way to go also, but I would go with the alum, until you get things better. Once your performance is what you want, drop 2 on pitch and go for a SS prop. Then you will really see PERFORMANCE.

Last edited:

BF

Lieutenant

I think if a boat is really laboring to get on plane, small things make the difference between getting over the hump versus plowing on... whether the fuel tank is at 1/4 or 3/4 will make a difference..... whether the drive is mostly down, versus all the way down... subtle differences in weight distribution.... maybe even wind/water conditions (?)

GregMcQ

Cadet

it was the prop. put a 19 pitch on it, launches pretty decently now. 4 to 8 secs you are on plane.

plus, max rpm was about 3800'ish, now, 4500.... but lost about 5 mph on top speed as it should have. lol

thanks all.

45Auto

Commander

Going from a 23" at 3800 RPM to a 19" at 4500 RPM shouldn't have cost you 5 MPH, unless there are some real screwy prop slip numbers in there somewhere .....