1st Boat, 14ft Gamefisher, Couple Questions...

jphake

Cadet
Greetings all,

I recently got back into fishing. Was looking for a small boat, just something to fish from. My wife's grandfather had this tri-hull sitting in his yard for the last couple years. My mother in law bought it for him, but there was a problem with the title. He didnt feel like getting the title straightened out, and just wanted it out of there at this point. So i traded him some auto repairs for it. I contacted the Fish and Boat Commission to get the title straightened out. It will take 60 days or so and I should have the title. Plenty of time to tidy things up a bit.

Couple quick questions for the brains:

1. The fiberglass inside is itchy as hell thanks to years of exposure. Will a coat or two of fresh paint take care of this?

2. I would like to put a simple level deck over the floor. Was thinking exterior plywood would work fine, with some carpet over it. What would be the best way to add supports for it and how would i attach it to the existing un-level floor?

3. The guy who owned it before the wifes grandfather loved drilling holes to add gadgets and such. Some are below water level. Whats the best way to fill these? Was thinking silicon.

Thanks in advance.

jphake

Cadet
Re: 1st Boat, 14ft Gamefisher.

Here is the current interior:

IMG_0283.jpg

Here is a rough idea of what I would like to do:

boatcarpet.png

This is how I found it,

IMG_1833.jpg

This is after power washing it:

IMG_1835.jpg

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Weclome to iboats Dry Dock,

#1 Yep that'll be fine...just prep the surface good first.

#2 This one is a little more involved but I don't see why you couldn't attach a couple of stringers to level off the deck. 1/2" plywood would be fine for this. Do a search on stringers and decks, you'll see lots of pictures and ideas that way. Lots of reading here.

#3 Silcone has no place below the waterline. Would really like to see some pictures of the holes you're talking about before recommending a patch for them.

Good luck

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

There was another one of these done on here about a year ago, almost wanting the same layout. Turned out very nice! I would suggest doing a search for it but I don't have a clue what the title of the post was.

jphake

Cadet

Thanks for the replies

I have to stop on my way home from work to check on a paint test i did yesterday. I will take some pictures of the holes in the hull.

jphake

Cadet

I stopped after work to get some pics of the holes. As of now, there are really only two holes. But as you can see from the pic, there is alot of unused hardware i would like to remove that would create more holes. Maybe it would be best to just leave it in?

Here are the holes, using a quarter as a guide and the locations (in case the makes a difference in how they would need to be filled

holes.png

Thanks again.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

MarineTex should fill those holes no problem.

jphake

Cadet

There was another one of these done on here about a year ago, almost wanting the same layout. Turned out very nice! I would suggest doing a search for it but I don't have a clue what the title of the post was.

Thanks for the heads up, gonna see if I can hunt that down tonight

jphake

Cadet

Still digging around here and during some research.

I am struggling a bit because some of the terms confuse me.

When I hear the the word epoxy, i think of the two part mixture in a syringe that is used for fixing items around the house.
I googled marine epoxy, and it looks similar. But does it have to be used with fiberglass mat or does it act as a "glue" itself?

my basic simple plan for the deck would be to use two pieces of 2x4's in the front between the live well and the V berth (is the the correct word? Heard my father in law use it to describe the bed area in the front of his boat) and two more in the rear between the live well and the read bench seat. They would run across the width of the floor and I would attach the plywood deck to them. Could I just use the epoxy to attach the 2x4's the the existing floor?

The good news is, i got a letter from the Pa Fish and Boat Commission today.....this are moving along nicely.

jphake

Cadet

Would be like this:

boatDiag.png

Will that work?

Thanks again guys

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you're in PA, taking posession of the boat legally should pose no problem at all. Heck my last boat I bought from a guy who had never even transferred it to himself from the guy he bought it from. Easy peasy, they just sent a letter to the last registered owner and in the meantime even gave me temp tags to use!

Epoxy is one type of resin that can be used with fiberglass. Polyester is another.

jphake

Cadet

Yup, Im in PA, taking possession of the boat is well under way. Maybe another week or two till i get the registration. It has never been titled, and from what i understand, I don't have to title it, just register it.

Been using what little time I have to start painting it:

IMG_1902.jpg

jphake

Cadet

guess i can ask this here too.

does anyone happen to know the thrust rating or anything about this trolling motor? I have tried google, but what little i can find has conflicting answers. Think it would work on my boat on a small inland lake?

IMG_0281.jpg

Its a Shakespeare Wondertroll 606. I tested it, everything appears to work fine.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yup, Im in PA, taking possession of the boat is well under way. Maybe another week or two till i get the registration. It has never been titled, and from what i understand, I don't have to title it, just register it.

Correct. It will be smooth sailing.

Miss Guided

Recruit

I have the same boat with the same deal as it was given to me. A few ?'s
Do you know the max hp for a motor and the max weight capacity? Did you finish the restorartion if so do you have pics? I to am in pa

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

guess i can ask this here too.

does anyone happen to know the thrust rating or anything about this trolling motor? I have tried google, but what little i can find has conflicting answers. Think it would work on my boat on a small inland lake?

IMG_0281.jpg

Its a Shakespeare Wondertroll 606. I tested it, everything appears to work fine.

It's from early to mid 70's and it's 12 lb thrust and 12 volt

jphake

Cadet

I have the same boat with the same deal as it was given to me. A few ?'s
Do you know the max hp for a motor and the max weight capacity? Did you finish the restorartion if so do you have pics? I to am in pa

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't checked this in a while.

My original plate for the boat looks like it says 20hp max, but it is barely readable. I found a picture on the web that claimed to be the plate for my boat that said 25 hp. max.
IMG_1828.jpg

sears14trihull.png

Here are some pics of what it looks like now. I didn't do the deck yet, I just got it ready to use for the season. Hopefully the deck will come together over the winter months

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice clean job on this and that's a neat setup of a boat.