No thrust with a brand new Mercury 15hp 4-stroke

craigerator

Recruit
Title pretty much explains it all. Took my BRAND NEW 15hp 4s mercury outboard secured onto the transom of my 12ft inflatable saturn 365SD out for the first time today. Engine starts up just fine, but when I shift gears to either forward or reverse, my boat does not move. Got home and ran it out of water (w/ a water diverting device, of course) to look at the propeller and just as I expected, my propeller does not generate any power. I'm hoping it's a quick fix or something I'm just missing. Any suggestions or have you heard of anybody else having this problem?

nicknight

Seaman
Re: No thrust with a brand new Mercury 15hp 4-stroke

If it is in gear, even without throttle you should get some thrust. Exchange it at the dealer.

3 things:

1) not a good idea to run the motor at all when not on a boat in the water.
2) there is not quick fix....sounds like the unit was repaired at one point and not reassembled properly....or QA the factory was poor that day.
3) if a broken gear shift is an easy fix then...well it could be that.

otterhide

Cadet

The answer to your problem is....easy.......buy an evenrude!!!!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

So are you saying that if you kick the prop it just spins in forward/neutral/reverse?

Also, as long as you have cooling you can run that motor all you want. It's a four stroke, just like a lawnmower but it needs water for cooling.

fullofquestions

Recruit

Shear Pin? put in gear at too high of RPM ?check the simple stuff better to xchange for another if poss

nicknight

Seaman

So are you saying that if you kick the prop it just spins in forward/neutral/reverse?

Also, as long as you have cooling you can run that motor all you want. It's a four stroke, just like a lawnmower but it needs water for cooling.

You are right...I mispoke...I meant run it in gear, I have run mine with and without muffs but never in gear. You are not saying to put it in gear and run it are you? (for one thing it sounds @$@!! dangerous)

nicknight