Quriky 84' Evinrude starter 8HP

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Our new to us 84' Evinrude 8hp longshaft (E8RLCRM) pull starter froze up on me while trying to launch Saturday....busy day too.:facepalm:...Anyway we used the electric trolling motor to get us away from the dock area and worked with it a bit. I had noticed that when I first started to pull the motor over the starter was making a slipping noise. The motor did not start on the first two pulls and then on the third it totally locked. When I removed the cover I saw no damage. I found that moving a flat black plastic part out of the way would let the starter turn again, so I put a screwdriver into the hole to hold it and started the motor up. Left the cover off. I figured this was how I would have to start later on, but it actually started OK later on with no further issues. Are these types of starters a pain or is mine just in need of repair or replacement? There is little wear on this motor, was used very little.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Quriky 84' Evinrude starter 8HP

That is an interlock to prevent starting with unit in gear.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Or a too high a throttle setting I believe.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. Maybe it was my fault then. Still, pretty sure I had it set to correct positions. Do these things ever act up though? Looks like a lot of plastic there.;)

D

DJ

Thanks guys. Maybe it was my fault then. Still, pretty sure I had it set to correct positions. Do these things ever act up though? Looks like a lot of plastic there.;)

Not really. The interlock will mess you up though, as you discovered.;)