Rusty U-Joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdub459

Recruit
Just got the drive off after 6 hours for a 15 min job. The gimbal bearing is seized to the drive shaft. The ujoints and the yoke is rusty but seem to work fine. Do I need to replace this or just clean it up? I attached some pics

Thanks in advance. First boat and becoming a boat mechanic:eek:
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 2011-06-05_17-22-01_674.jpg
    2011-06-05_17-22-01_674.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 1

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Rusty U-Joints

the gimbal bearing is definitely shot and looking at the u-joints, they are probably shot too

best bet is replace u-joints and gimbal bearing, check engine alignment and coupler wear

drain lube and pressure test drive

was there water in the u-joint bellows??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's also going to take a yoke and input shaft seal where the ujoint assembly goes into the outdrive. The rust will destroy the seal, just like sandpaper.

was there water in the u-joint bellows??
That is usually what causes rust. ;)

jdub459

Recruit

From the rust I assume that it was water in there at sometime but none present today. Is the yoke espensive to replace?

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
My yokes/center housing look as rusty and is probably worse. Ordered new Ujoints. Doing full rehab/ bellows. Gimbal/lower cables. Are the yokes and center housing reusable if I clean them up or do they need to be changed that I'd rather not do for money sake. It would seem the only really important part is where the ujoint slides into the holes? Splines are fine

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Please start a new thread of your own. This thread is over 7 years old... and now, Closed....

Status
Not open for further replies.