Volvo Penta (Vortec) help

puddle jumper

Captain
My friend grenaded his engine and I am having difficulties with the new one.

Its a Volvo penta
model 4.3 GXI-B

When we got the engine (the new engine is a Vortec) we noticed that the gasket kit they sent us was for a carberated engine and the old one was Vortec fuel injected engine. Plus it was missing the timing chain cover. The company is from Washington state so just taking the motor back is not that simple as we are in Canada.

The last thing we noticed was that the new engine has a standard valve train and the old engine has a roller rocker valve train assembly. My question is Will this make a difference to the performance and/or will this engine work with the electronics of the old engine.

Some one a work said that for some reason he seems to thing that it will have problems with the electronics and set codes or possibly not run at all. Is there anyone that could tell me the ins and outs of these engines and what els I should be looking for and is this engine compatible with the electronics of the old motor.

Thanks

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Volvo Penta (Vortec) help

My friend grenaded his engine and I am having difficulties with the new one.

Its a Volvo penta
model 4.3 GXI-B

When we got the engine (the new engine is a Vortec) we noticed that the gasket kit they sent us was for a carberated engine and the old one was Vortec fuel injected engine. Plus it was missing the timing chain cover. The company is from Washington state so just taking the motor back is not that simple as we are in Canada.

The last thing we noticed was that the new engine has a standard valve train and the old engine has a roller rocker valve train assembly. My question is Will this make a difference to the performance and/or will this engine work with the electronics of the old engine.

Some one a work said that for some reason he seems to thing that it will have problems with the electronics and set codes or possibly not run at all. Is there anyone that could tell me the ins and outs of these engines and what els I should be looking for and is this engine compatible with the electronics of the old motor.

Thanks

Sounds like a big mess to me....This motor does Not have a roller cam in it????? GI have fairly agressive cams for a boat that is...If theres a differnence in duration and lift yes you have a problem with your mefi comp....about two to four hundred to tune it...I am not to sure your distributor will work.....Does it have a balance shaft above the cam....Smiles how many bolts does it take to secure the intake manifold.....?

puddle jumper

Captain

Thanks

Yes it does have a ballance shaft and the intake does bolt up with no problem. Any other things I need to know.

thank again

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Exactly what engine did you buy? Do you have a link to it?

puddle jumper

Captain

Exactly what engine did you buy? Do you have a link to it?

I will get all of the information off the box that I can for you tomorrow. My Friend is going to phone them tomorrow.let you know as I get the information.

Thanks

puddle jumper

Captain

I dont have a direct link to the engine he bought. Here is all of the numbers I could find.

GM4.3LC
14099090M
GMC-262RMLB-3
S/N66398S

99-06chev4.3
Marine v6
std Rotation
balance shaft

He talked with the engine builder and they said it was the replacement engine they have.
He wants to go ahead with the in stall.

if any one has some input please speak up as I want to make sure this is done right.

Thanks