Anybody got a great (read easy)tip for removing steering wheel?

emoney

Commander
It's a Teleflex setup, JBS to be specific (jet boat) and I don't have a steering wheel puller, and quite honestly don't want to buy one for this one job. I suppose I can attempt to either borrow or rent one from a local shop, but I thought maybe someone had a helpful and handy tip for getting the job done?

(hey, it never hurts to ask). Hope everybody had a great weekend on the water (and the hard for you rebuilder-types):D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anybody got a great (read easy)tip for removing steering wheel?

Well with the teleflex hubs you should be able to use a flywheel puller and Harbor Freight sells em for 10 bucks.

46 Piece Bolt Puller Set

Item #37824

(12)
Only:$14.99
Sale:$9.99

dozerII

Admiral

To get you out of a pinch you can loosen the nut till it is even with the out side thread of the shaft. Then grip the wheel at 10 and 2 and have someone give the end of the shaft a sharp rap with a hammer, you have to hit it straight and flat so as not to damage the threads. It always works for me, but I'm not saying you won't damage the threads.
Hope this helps, Glen

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Or, penetrating oil, put the wheel back on, loosen the center nut to one thread put your feet on the dash and start wigglin and pullin like a big dog!

emoney

Commander

If you guys are saying that I can just beat this thing out, then that I can do because I've purchased a whole new helm. It doesn't matter to me if the threads on the old helm are all stripped off because it's useless at the moment. That's why the steering wheel needs to come off because it's the only thing I"m reusing. If that's the case, just take my big framing hammer and whack away? There's no "key" or anything that needs to come off outside that nut, right?:confused:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nope, the key is Parallel with the hub, the shaft is tapered though and they ARE tough. Penetrating Oil and Heat (propane Torch) then pour ice water on it. Yank and PUll and Beat on it OR get a Fly wheel puller.

emoney

Commander

Thanks Wood, I'll starting cooking and hacking tonight. I'll let you know when it's "de-wheeled".

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

The hammer method directly on the shaft is your best bet to try first. You just need enough pressure on the steering wheel to take the end play out of it. A sharp rap with a hammer on the end of the shaft will usually pop them right off. And since you don't need to save it, you're good to go. Like Woodonglass said it' a tapered fit, it'll have to be "knocked" loose.....

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

^^^^^^^Worked for me. Hit it with PB blaster the day before and the 37yo wheel poped off with one sharp hit. Pulled up with left hand and whacked with framing hammer.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

+1 on the hammer and pulling with the other hand... it works!

rickryder

Commander

Most auto stores have a loan a tool program....

emoney

Commander

The "hammer and pull" method is what I did last night. Since I'm replacing the helm I just took the nut all the way off and took my 32oz steel framing hammer and whacked it a couple of times while I was pulling away with the wheel itself. A hammer that size tends to do the work for you and it didn't fail me this time, either...lol. She's off and the old helm is out. I'm just waiting for my new cable before I install the new parts. Thanks for the help everybody!!!!!

(I thought I'd add all the details so nobody scanned this thread and just read the words "whacked", "pulled", "tool" & "lubed" and got the wrong impression:p)

dozerII

Admiral

Your lucky, the reason I said leave the nut on is, A fellow I used to work with had a real stubborn steering wheel and was pulling for all he was worth. The wheel came off and smoked him in the face, breaking two teeth..
Glen

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Leaving the nut on also saves the threads but you didn't care in this case.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

(I thought I'd add all the details so nobody scanned this thread and just read the words "whacked", "pulled", "tool" & "lubed" and got the wrong impression:p)

My sinuses will be clear for a WHILE!!! I blew coke out my nose on this one!!!!:eek:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I MEANT Coca Cola!:facepalm:

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Only here can we go from pulling a steering wheel to whacking & pulling and then to doing coke in just 18 posts....

Ain't iboats great????

CW