creek fishing

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do any of you fish creeks in your pontoon?

The closest local lake for me is Caesar Creek State Park, about 30 minutes up I-71 from me. It's the lake we usually go to with our pontoon. You can find it here.

This spring with all of the rain and flooding we've had I went ahead and bought a kayak to fish with and with that I discovered the far north ramp on CC lake. It's at the end of Young Road north of the Caesar Creek Cemetery. It's in the middle of a large stump field and very narrow. Very quiet, lots of wildlife to see, good fishing. The few bass boats that go there are moving very slowly navigating the hazards and I was thinking this might be an OK place to put the pontoon in to fish and kickback. I have seen a 25' center console fishing boat with a 250 HP OB back there. :eek:

My pontoon is a 20' Party Barge with a trolling motor, 25" pontoons.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: creek fishing

I take my boat in some very shallow water, to the point where I have to trim the motor up, get out and push it across a sunken rail bed to get in the one little bay I go into for bait. You are not drawing any more water than that big CC, go for it. Be careful, and have fun.

I will say only half in fun that you might want to carry a spare prop.:D

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: creek fishing

I'll probably use my trolling motor to navigate back there after the water clears up a bit. Right now it's really murky, only about 6" of visibility.

There have been a lot of fish caught back there, crappie, LMB and white bass plus the occasional muskie. There are sand bars to beach the pontoon on later in the summer. From the ramp to the fork (can't go past that with the pontoon) it's probably less than a quarter mile.