Growling, especially when turning.

ringmaster72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do you know if it is the drive ujoints and/or the gimbal bearing? When turning it growls. Also, when going straight it growls until I find a certain position with the trim and it stops, which leads me to believe it may be the ujoints. It also growls while at idle when flushing it out. Any ideas?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Growling, especially when turning.

pull the drive and inspect the u-joints, gimbal bearing, all bellows, engine alignment, coupler condition...you get the idea

45Auto

Commander

Replace them all while you have it apart. If something is growling, you probably have water in it and everything else will be crapping out shortly.

Gimbal bearing is what, $45? U-joints are $20 each, it's worth $40 to me not to have to rip into it again later on this summer ......

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

You may be able to determine if its the gimble bearing by starting it on muffs, listen for the growl, then start pumping some grease into the gimble bearing zerk. If it is the GB,it should smooth out, for awhile, even if it is bad. If you dont hear any change , suspect U Joints, Either way its probably gotta come apart...