Need help. Idle adjustment on 25hp mercury 1998.

WNY Tony

Recruit
Hello,

I am new to the forum, and wanted to post a question to confirm what I just did is correct. My motor, a 1998 25 HP long shaft, pull start, 2 stroke Mercury tiller was starting hard and not idling well, and it seemed like it was not getting enough fuel. I could run it wide open to my fishing spot, but once I got there and dropped it into neutral, it would stall within 15 seconds.

So when I got home, I got brave and started turning knobs trying to make adjustments to the motor such that it starts and idles better. This is the process that I took, and I was hoping for some feedback as to whether this is correct or not. I just wanted some reassurance that I did not do something catastrophic, or that what I did would cause the motor to run too rich/too lean, etc.

1. I rotated the "primer/choke" dial (the red arrow on the right of picture) counter-clockwise until it was all the way in the "off" position.

2. I then turned the brass screw clockwise (red arrow on the left) until the motor would start and idle well. By turning this clockwise, it looks like it gave the motor more fuel to the carb. I then took this brass screw back counter-clockwise until the motor idled at a low, but sustainable RPM.

When I did these steps, the motor starts great, idles great, and gives me the ability to increase the 'primer/choke' dial clockwise on cold starts. Does this make sense, and seem alright? Motor is running great now, but again, just making sure I did not do something bad. The main error of my ways is that I did not keep track of how much I moved the brass screw from where it was originally.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 20

WNY Tony

Recruit
Re: Need help. Idle adjustment on 25hp mercury 1998.

bump to the top. any feedback please?

Jake_MN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The screw your pic points to is the Idle Speed Screw. Adjusting it shouldn't cause anything catastrophic.

MercIdle.gif

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class

The idle screw increases RPM's, it doesn't change the fuel mixture. You don't want to increase the idle beyond spec because you will end up damaging the gears in the lower unit. You need to set it to the right RPM and if it still stalls I would recommend a good carb cleaning.

Jake_MN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The idle screw increases RPM's, it doesn't change the fuel mixture. You don't want to increase the idle beyond spec because you will end up damaging the gears in the lower unit. You need to set it to the right RPM and if it still stalls I would recommend a good carb cleaning.

Good point. I assumed "idles great" meant it idled well within the correct RPM range. Perhaps that wasn't a safe assumption.

WNY Tony

Recruit

OK, thanks for the feedback. It doesn't sound like it is idling at abnormally high RPM's, just a nice quiet idle. Do you have any ideas where the RPM range should be for idling a motor of that size? I can check them, but do not know where they should be set.

So is it safe to assume since it was the idle speed screw that I was adjusting that it should not really affect my high speed / WOT performance of the motor?

Jake_MN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

According to the manual for a 97 and newer 25 hp, the idle should be set at 750 +/- 50 RPM in forward gear. Fast idle speed is 1500 +/- 200 RPM. Keep in mind that if you set the idle in a tank, it will be slightly lower when in forward gear.