Is this an issue?

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Below I have posted pictures to better show my dilemma.

Two weeks ago while trailering I completely blew out one of my bearings.:mad:

I bought a complete hub assembly to just replace the whole thing and make things easier but after I disassembled everything and cleaned up a bit I saw that the underside of the spindle was pretty roughed up.

Do I need to replace the spindle?

Can anything be done to not have to replace this one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is this an issue?

x2 Replace. There is absolutely no way to fix that spindle. Some light scratches can be polished out, but yours is destroyed.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it just a matter of taking off the cotter pin and nut on the inside?

Will it easily come off if I do that?

How do I find the EXACT size replacement? Are there so many that buying the wrong one is a real possibility?

Thanks again.

Thalasso

Commander

You might have to remove the axel to have it welded. Call the trailer manf.as to what spindle you need.You will need new bearings and races.

oldjeep

Admiral

If it is not a bolt on spindle (most are not) It'll be cheaper to just replace the whole axle unless you are capable removing and welding the new spindle yourself.

Thalasso

Commander

You might have to remove the axel to have it welded. Call the trailer manf.as to what spindle you need.You will need new bearings and races.
Do not let Joe Shmo weld it on. Get a certified shop to do it. Spindle about $60.00? welding probably another 75.00

oldjeep

Admiral

Do not let Joe Shmo weld it on. Get a certified shop to do it. Spindle about $60.00? welding probably another 75.00

If you can get a certified welder to do it for $75 that would be quite a deal. I do mostly roll cages and frame splices (My own stuff and I'm not certified) and probabally wouldn't screw around with that spindle (even if you could find one that matched) for what a whole new axle would cost.

Hal Ray

Cadet

I had the same thing to happen recently. Still have not been able to figure out what caused the failure. Had plenty of grease, etc.

Was it possible to install the new hub assembly over the existing spindle?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If this is a torsion axle then the spindle may be a bolt on style. You need to look at it on the back side. If it is a welded axle then the existing stub must be cut off and a new one welded on. And yes -- you can buy the wrong spindle. You need to look at the bearings. If both are 1-1/16 inch then you have a 1000# spindle. If the outer bearing is 1-1/16 and the inner is 1-3/8 then you have a 1750# spindle. You might consider a new axle as the least expensive repair.

bigdee

Commander

I noticed the zerk fitting on your axle,that is an easy way to grease the bearing BUT it is also any easy way to destroy a hub and spindle. Too much grease can lock a tapered bearing to the inner race causing it to spin on the spindle shaft and cause this type of damage. Pre-load on castle nut (there should be some play) can cause this too.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I noticed the zerk fitting on your axle,that is an easy way to grease the bearing BUT it is also any easy way to destroy a hub and spindle. Too much grease can lock a tapered bearing to the inner race causing it to spin on the spindle shaft and cause this type of damage. Pre-load on castle nut (there should be some play) can cause this too.

And to go along with that, at least in my experience with the axle zerk ones like that, once you start to see it squish out it is already too much grease, making it REALLY tough to not overshoot how much should be in there.

oldjeep

Admiral

If it is a welded axle then the existing stub must be cut off and a new one welded on.

And the most important and difficult part - making sure the new spindle is aligned before welding. You can't really count on the spindle being aligned with just a press fit into the axleshaft, when they make these things it is set in a jig to ensure that everything is straight.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

If it's not a bolt on spindle I would look into buying a new axle instead, there's a good chance it will be cheaper than welding on a new spindle. try abctrailerparts or tractor supply.

FAC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just went through this about two months ago and I ended up going with a new axle, it came out to about $300.00 for a new axle with hub assemblies and new u bolts.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Replace the axle- way too much damage to trust this one, even if you got it round enough to
fit a new hub/bearings on...