Mercury 150 XR2 cuts out after getting on plane.

llyons

Seaman
This weekend we went fishing and out of the blue the motor doesnt run like it did before a week before.

The motor is strong enough to get on a plane (19' champion) but once its on plane and I have trimmed it to run smooth it will begin to cut out like its either losing gas or the timing is changed. The motor never misses but bogs down after getting on a plane. Pushing the throttle more just bogs it down. The motor will run with no problems when just idling along or when you throttle up just short of plane. The gas priming bulb never seems to get completely full and I seemed to notice a air sound when squeezing the priming bulb but no leaking from any of the hoses. I was guessing the air sound was the sound of air being pushed back into the take? I am not sure. It never has a problem getting on plane but always cuts out after getting on plane.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Mercury 150 XR2 cuts out after getting on plane.

You have a leak in the fuel line. It's sucking air. If you keep running it like that, that will be the least of your problems.

lake14174

Recruit

I had the same problem. I tried everything with the fuel with no success. Then I changed a couple coils where the plugs were fouling and put a new stator on the motor. The stator cost me about $180.- but after putting it on my motor runs like a charm. save yourself some aggravation by changing the stator first. they do wear out.

j_martin

Admiral

I had the same problem. I tried everything with the fuel with no success. Then I changed a couple coils where the plugs were fouling and put a new stator on the motor. The stator cost me about $180.- but after putting it on my motor runs like a charm. save yourself some aggravation by changing the stator first. they do wear out.

No they don't just wear out. However, they do fail, and when they do there is pretty simple DVA tests that will positively identify the bad part. Just guessing on a $180 part is foolish, unless you can depend on winning the lottery.