91 johnson 60 wont star

hypeshipe

Seaman Apprentice
The boat ran fine until I trailered it to the water. I have compression spark and fuel and think its something in the ignition switch wiring. The motor cranks but won't turn over. I tried bypassing the wiring that makes it not start while in gear and nothing changed.

I plan on cleaning all the connections at the switch and trying again. Any other suggestions?

D

DJ

Re: 91 johnson 60 wont star

Engine kill switch lanyard hood up? Take it off and hold in the button. Does it start then?

hypeshipe

Seaman Apprentice

I officially have no idea what's going on. I put new ends on all of the control wires and cleaned the connections on the switch. All it wants to do is crank.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You say it has fuel and spark? Then it should run! Does it even backfire? If it does, would be looking into sherd flywheel key. Post back and let us know.

D

DJ

Engine kill switch lanyard hood up? Take it off and hold in the button. Does it start then?

Is it hooked up? If so, did you remove it and hold the button in?

hypeshipe

Seaman Apprentice

On second inspection, It doesn't look like I have spark. Yesterday I got it to spark off of a screwdriver but when I stuck a spark plug in it and grounded it today I got nothing. What should I be checking for? I see I have a coil for each plug but I checked two of the plugs and got no spark. What comes before the coil?

On a side note I bypassed the safety kill switch (button) and still no start.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Isn't there a black/white wire near the power pack that you can unhook? It will eliminate everything in front of the motor, kill switch wise.

hypeshipe

Seaman Apprentice

Is it hooked up? If so, did you remove it and hold the button in?

Yes I held it in and also tried to bypass it. I'm also not getting a backfire

hypeshipe

Seaman Apprentice

Did you check the fuse that is on the powerhead toward the rear?

Look at item #39 in this diagram.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/48036.cfm

I can't see the diagram but if that is the 20a32v fuse right before the starter solenoid then that's not my problem. When that fuse is blown it won't even crank.

I just let it crank longer than I normally would and got it to start popping and it finally started. It ran perfect and went into gear fine. I let it warm up before shutting it off. I immediately tried to start it again and it would not start again. Damnit

hypeshipe

Seaman Apprentice

Im thinking my spark is intermitant. Anyone have any info on troubleshooting the ignition system (ie. Power pack, coils, stator)?

hypeshipe

Seaman Apprentice

If I disconnect the black/white wire at the power pack, I'm worried about not being able to kill the motor if it decides to start. Can i just replug it in to kill the motor?