Javelin Fish/Ski Ladder Hole Repair

piperdriver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The swim ladder attach holes have given up. They are stripped out. Can someone please give me the proper method to repair them correctly so that the ladder can be re-attached in teh same location. This is on the left side of the transom.
I can work with fiberglass no problem, just want to get this repair right. Thanks for the advise.
Steve

Attachments

• DSC04765.JPG
    DSC04765.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC04764.JPG
    DSC04764.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC04763.JPG
    DSC04763.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Javelin Fish/Ski Ladder Hole Repair

You have a few choices. You could drill out the holes and epoxy in some wooden dowels and re-drill or drill the holes a bit larger and fill with epoxy then drill pilot holes.

Epoxy is probably going to be the best choice.

piperdriver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like the road that i was thinking. Let's say that the attach screws are 1/4" diameter. How large would you like to have the initial holes? Also, would any good 5/10 minute epoxy do the job?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd recommend drilling out to 1/2" inch. Yes, the 10 minute Loctite Epoxy kits sold at Lowe's will work. I would recommend mixing some Cabosil and some chopped 1/4" fiberglass fibers with it to thicken to the consistency of Peanut Butter. Use packing tape to cover one side then putty knife the resin into the holes and let it set up. Re-drill and install.

piperdriver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am an airline mechanic. I have worked composite repair for many years. Where in the world can one find cabosil? I have worked with it extensively in the industry, but I have never seen it commercially available.
The 1/2" primary hold diameter sounds good. I think that I will find a 1/2" dowl and pin the holes. Are you suggesting using the epoxy and cabosil to pot in the dowls, or is that mixture in lieu of the dowls?
One other piece of info. I am working with a blind surface on the backside. I cannot get to the back surface to tape it and pot it.
Drill the holes up to 1/2", epoxy in 1/2" dowls, sand smooth and drill a small pilot hole in the center of the potted in dowls, attach the ladder with the 1/4" screws and I'm good to go? That is how I understand it, please if i am in error let me know.
Thanks, Steve

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok did not realize it was blind. Then no need for my mixture. Use regular 10 minute epoxy and dowel. Once dry then predrill your installation holes and then use 3M 4200 Sealant to seal the holes and screw threads when installing the hardware.