Stopping dog from peeing inside??

zach103

Commander
We have two dogs. One is 11 and one is 2. both are peeing inside but only in two certain areas. I was wondering if anyone has anything that they put down to keep them from peeing in those spots. We have used bleach with no luck. thanks guys.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Stopping dog from peeing inside??

Obviously one is following the other's lead......... my best solution is to take them out more often.

Have there been any changes? Sometimes it is a rebellion that causes it or a medical problem.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bob's idea is probably the best.

But on a side note, if it's the 11 year old, you might want to run the dog to the vet and just have a bladder check. The 2 year old could be jealous or angry. We have 2 dogs 4 and 2. Our 2 year old "Amber" needs attention all the time, when we get busy and don't pay enough attention to her she'll start peeing in the house. But my charlie wont follow. He's a good boy.. He'll hold it all day and night if he has too.

I know it may be hard, but try to take them out on a timed schedule more often. And see if it stops.
I dont like this suggestion, but it may be necessary, you can buy those artificial grass mats. They may start to pee there. But in my opinion those only train the dog to go inside.

Our amber was real hard to house train, took us a long time. Had to treat her.. When we potty out side, we give her a treat. Slowly the treats lessened as she just started to go outside.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

But on a side note, if it's the 11 year old, you might want to run the dog to the vet and just have a bladder check.

came to say this, there's a few things that could impact his ability to hold it, at his age it wouldn't seem to me to be likely a training issue, he probably just can't hold it and the other one is being territorial about it. Maybe he just has a UTI.
I think it was ammonia I've read will discourage them from piddling, might google it.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

How about a fenced backyard and a doggie door? then they can come and "GO" as they please.Or maybe if they hear you speak of "putting down" something to stop the dogs from peeing in the house ,they may stop doing it!!!:eek::eek:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

The 2 year old could be jealous or angry. We have 2 dogs 4 and 2. Our 2 year old "Amber" needs attention all the time, when we get busy and don't pay enough attention to her she'll start peeing in the house.

Our amber was real hard to house train, took us a long time. Had to treat her.. When we potty out side, we give her a treat. Slowly the treats lessened as she just started to go outside.

....and slowly she started to "regress". :facepalm:
If I were you, I'd increase the treats...and see what happens. ;)

bigdee

Commander

My neighbor once asked me the same question. I told him to rub the dog's nose in the mess it made and then show him/her the front door and take him outside. A few weeks later I asked my neighbor how it was going and he replied,"not to well". I asked him what was wrong and he said he tried my advice for two weeks and the dog never caught on, so he said "I lost my patience,and I rubbed the dog's nose in the mess and threw him through the kitchen window......now,he goes to the same spot in the living room,takes a crap and then jumps through the kitchen window"!

Splat

Lieutenant

Taking them out more is a great start.

The trick to correcting a dogs behavior is you need to catch them in the act and immediately make the correction. You can rub their nose in it and correct them if it happens immediately. But if you come home to find a mess then make the correction, the dog doesn't associate the action with the punishment.

Rolled up magazines work well, YOUR NOT TRYING TO BEAT OR EVEN CAUSE PAIN WITH THIS TECHNIQUE, JUST A BIT OF FEAR FOR CORRECTION. The sound of it hitting your hand is often enough.

Bill

salty87

Commander

agree to check health first, also agree that younger dog may be following older dog's 'lead'. or, it could be the younger dog going first and the older dog covering it up. that's what they do outside.

if this has been happening for more than a little while, they very well may consider that spot theirs by now. if you can restrict access to that area while you try to re-train, your job will be easier.

hitting or yelling will do no good except to alienate the animal further. they can probably see the look on your face when you get home and, being as smart as dogs are, they probably know to avoid you already. even rubbing their nose in it immediately won't do much if anything. the dogs knows it just took a dump there, he can smell it fine. if you jam his head in it he's just going to wonder what your problem is.

advice to take them out more often is good. i'd go further and say you need to monitor their every 'movement'. you should know exactly when the last time they did #1 or #2....that's your job as master. don't let them inside w/o taking care of business and don't leave them home alone too long.

frequently repeat something like 'go potty' everytime they are taking care of business and before long they will 'go potty' pretty much on command.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Once the dog pee's in the house, he will likely go back to that same spot. The other dog will follow. Bleach and other rug cleaners will not get the odor out that the dog's smell. There is a product called Natures Miracle, that is sold at the pet stores. That product is supposed to get rid of the enzymes that cause the odors that dogs smell. It does not work over night. Often times you have to spray the area several times in order to kill the enzymes. However, while doing this, you need to keep your pets from re-using this area until you can get it cleared-up. Often times, the pet will find another spot to go in the house.

So it sounds like you have two issues. One is why did the older dog start peeing in the house (medical, not going out enough)?? The second dog is just marking the territory. The second issue is that you have to get the odor out so that they don't have the urge to pee there again.

It's sorta like fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Just the smell makes you want to eat one. In fact, I bet you can almost smell them right now, since I put the idea in your head. Same goes with the dog pee. They smell it, they think they have to pee and they try to pee on the same spot.

Try the Natures Miracle. I am in know way affiliated with them, but I did use it and it worked for me.

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have they always had this problem? Are they males? Males like to be territorial...as people have said. If this is a new behavior, it could be the older dog is getting old and needs to go out more, and the younger dog tries to "take territory" from the older dog. Male dogs mark their territory...and another comes along, sniffs, and tries to mark his territory higher up on the tree/hydrant/wall, etc to make him "smell bigger" than the other dog.

As far as general dog training, I've found a proactive approach to be much better. When I moved back in with my parents after college, my dog went crazy with all the scents from the other 3 dogs living at home. He took a particular liking to my dad's subwoofer surround sound speaker. I started keeping him tethered to me with a long leash inside the house. As others have mentioned, you have to catch the dog in the act. In the living room, the dog beds were close to the speaker...I'd let him go to the bed, but when he stood up and starting sniffing at the speaker, I gave the leash a quick pop and gave the "NO" command. He quickly caught on and I was able to relax some without following him around everywhere.

It is also important to recognize the difference between marking and peeing. Peeing is when they drank too much water and they have to gooooo bad-resulting in a huge puddle! Sometimes they can't help it! Marking, or spraying, is a reaction to the scent...like if you take your dog for a walk and he wants to pee on every bush or hydrant or tree etc. One good thing is to train them to "pee" but not to mark. IE: On walks, let him go once....but if he wants to stop again, let him sniff for a second, then give the leash a tug and tell him "LETS GO". This tends to train him it's OK to sniff around, but not OK to mark.

Restricting areas also does wonders: Baby gates work just as well on dogs!

Of course, all of this is pointless if you can't get rid of the smell! I used Woolite Pet cleaner from Wal-Mart and it worked OK. To solve the problem, it will be a combination of all of these methods.

Also, most dogs respond better to positive reinforcement. I had a major barking issue with my dog as he would want to bark at every thing in the back yard. It was easy for me to get frustrated where I'd yell at him "HUSH" and literally try to square him quiet...which did the opposite. He'd get so scared his bark changed to a high pitched yelp and squeal as he cowered to the ground. The only thing I changed is instead of acting aggressive/mad, if he barked up a storm, I'd whistle or clap to get his attention, tell him to sit and tell him "HUSH". I'd make him sit and be quiet and when he was quiet, I'd give him a positive reward (treat, tennis ball, pat on the head). Also, if I let him out and he didn't bark at all, I'd tell him good boy and give him a treat. It took about 2-3 weeks before he reduced his barking dramatically.