rotted wood!!!

whatnext

Cadet
The drain plug inside my bow compartment was blocked up for an unknown amount of time!! Now the flooring is rotted and I have a plate sized hole, which probably will grow as I pull up damaged wood. What steps can anyone give to get me started on this new project!

I have a wellcraft deep v hull if that helps.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: rotted wood!!!

Welcome to iBoats.

Pics really help us to help you. There's a link in my signature line on how to post em.

whatnext

Cadet

ok. I will post pics tomorrow. Thanks and looking forward to the help.

Friscoboater

Captain

Also start reading some of the restore threads. You need to start by finding how bad the rot is by drilling dome exploratory holes in the area in question. You want dry light colored wood.

whatnext

Cadet

ok pics are not doable at the moment. my iPhone will not let me upload them and no access to a laptop. ok this was going to be my action on this:

I was planning to cut out the remaining wood on the floor of the compartment. I was then planning to lay either marine plywood or treated lumber down, coat wood with epoxy to prevent this in future. My question is what is best way to secure new flooring and should I seal cracks with some type of caulking?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Before you "Patch" the deck you MUST ensure that the wood substructure below has not been compromised by the water intrusion. If the water has been down there for a significant period of time, the wood below could be saturated and WILL start to deteriorate and ROT. That would NOT be a good scenario. I would suggest you slow down and make sure everything is as it should be or you will be tearing it all out again to do it OVER.

whatnext

Cadet

thanks for the response woodonglass.... this is my bow compartment that apparently the drain plug was clogged and the wood soaked up the moisture. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I can't upload photos now but I can email them.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check you Private Mail Box. I sent you my personal Email Address so you can send me those pics.

whatnext

Cadet

my inbox is empty. can you resend your email and I will get those photos to you! thanks.

whatnext

Cadet

frisco, I watched your YouTube video of the deck repair. I could quite make out what you were putting to seal the cracks along the new deck?