truck in Drink

scotteam

Seaman Apprentice
Went to load drive boat on trailer. The truck was backed down a steep launch. droveboat on trailer as i did this the boat jarred the truck forward enough that the emergency break snapped off and the truck went down launch under boat floated out in lake trailer and all and sunk

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: truck in Drink

Thats horrible.... but , it could have been worse...it could have been ME !....just kiddin , thats awful scott..... Thanks for sharing that bro !
Where ya able to salvage the rig ?

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a coworker loose his truck once when the cable broke. Since then I use wheel chocks when I launch. It only takes few extra seconds but added security.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've never had a vehicle with a working e-brake, heh...

Anyway, whether im in a vehicle with a working e-brake or not, I always leave it in reverse when I park. Lowest gear, meaning, hardest for vehicle to roll if something else doesnt work.

scotteam

Seaman Apprentice

well when and if you ever see this remember what the guy in the boat looked like. It is the thing that makes bad dreams. I have never had one since.

scotteam

Seaman Apprentice

I've never had a vehicle with a working e-brake, heh...

Anyway, whether im in a vehicle with a working e-brake or not, I always leave it in reverse when I park. Lowest gear, meaning, hardest for vehicle to roll if something else doesnt work.

Wanta know why you never had one? You owned a boat first!!!!!!! A hole in the water you throw money into!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope you were able to winch the whole works back out of the drink.

Sounds like one more reason not to "power load" the boat onto the trailer...in addition to all the other reasons.:facepalm:

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like one more reason not to "power load" the boat onto the trailer...in addition to all the other reasons.:facepalm:

Vice Admiral Sir, what are the other reasons not to power load? Some people say it's OK, some like yourself say it's a No no.
I avoid it most times I load but wonder apart form scotteams misfortunes, what else is wrong.
Just need some advice as a newish boater.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

When you power load the boat, the prop wash pushes all of the sand/mud away from the end of the dock, causing a giant rut to be formed. This traps trailer tires and makes it next to impossible to get your boat out once it's loaded. Once that rut is formed, this allows waves & currents at the ramp to continue to pull the supporting underlayer of dirt out from beneath the ramp, which leads to the concrete cracking, which removes more dirt, which leads to a broken ramp. Now people get to complain that their ramp is out of service while the county finally gets around to pouring a new ramp.

When loading your boat, put the trailer just a bit deeper. Drive your boat at an idle onto the trailer. Hook up the winch strap. Crank it the rest of the way. If you have to power up the trailer, you simply are not deep enough (don't think about what damage you're doing to your hull gel coat during that dry grind up the trailer). If you back too deep and get stuck in the ruts at the end of the ramp, thank the people that power load their boats for that.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

When you power load the boat, the prop wash pushes all of the sand/mud away from the end of the dock, causing a giant rut to be formed. This traps trailer tires and makes it next to impossible to get your boat out once it's loaded. Once that rut is formed, this allows waves & currents at the ramp to continue to pull the supporting underlayer of dirt out from beneath the ramp, which leads to the concrete cracking, which removes more dirt, which leads to a broken ramp. Now people get to complain that their ramp is out of service while the county finally gets around to pouring a new ramp.

When loading your boat, put the trailer just a bit deeper. Drive your boat at an idle onto the trailer. Hook up the winch strap. Crank it the rest of the way. If you have to power up the trailer, you simply are not deep enough (don't think about what damage you're doing to your hull gel coat during that dry grind up the trailer). If you back too deep and get stuck in the ruts at the end of the ramp, thank the people that power load their boats for that.

Fully understand now.
I find that when there is little wind I put the trailer in deeper as it is easy to get the boat central and winch up, however if there is a strong wind, I tend to have the trailer not so deep so that the boat guides onto the rails more, but doesn't it go up as far with the winch. I suppose with a little more experience I'll get better.
Thanks for the advice.

mullet_man

Recruit

when launching a boat back in set park brake then turn the front wheels all the way left or right then shut the truck off so it locks the wheel then if something happens the truck and trailer will jack knife and wont go all the way in the drink

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Fully understand now.
I find that when there is little wind I put the trailer in deeper as it is easy to get the boat central and winch up, however if there is a strong wind, I tend to have the trailer not so deep so that the boat guides onto the rails more, but doesn't it go up as far with the winch. I suppose with a little more experience I'll get better.
Thanks for the advice.

Sure hope so. Otherwise somebody might lock your coupler.:p

Silly Seville

(Rant begin)

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand this chain of events when it is SO PREVENTABLE! Not to chastise the OP too much, but like another poster mentioned; and I ask everyone who pulls ANY kind of trailer...why don't you simply chock your truck wheels?! Please folks, CHOCK YOUR WHEELS! I use a piece of treated 4"x4" lumber with a rope attached to it. In the commercial trucking industry, not preventing vehicle movement while unattended is paramount to criminal negligence if property damage or injury/death occurs. Maybe someone reading this will get into the habit of blocking/chocking wheels and save themselves the embarrassment and an expensive call to their lawyer or insurance agent. (Rant over)

jkust

Rear Admiral

Funny I only chocked my wheels a few tow vehicles back because the ebrake was rusted shut but only because of the huge thump when putting back in gear. The powerloading baffels me as well. The mere fact that people do this, with understandable regional exceptions, tells me they are not speaking the language. What kind of truck did this happen to? An old rusty beater or a legitimate malfunction of a newer truck? I have surmised over the years that people simply take towing anything very lightly. Non-working lights, bald tires, ancient trailers that are clearly past their prime etc.

j_martin

Admiral

(Rant begin)

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand this chain of events when it is SO PREVENTABLE! Not to chastise the OP too much, but like another poster mentioned; and I ask everyone who pulls ANY kind of trailer...why don't you simply chock your truck wheels?! Please folks, CHOCK YOUR WHEELS! I use a piece of treated 4"x4" lumber with a rope attached to it. In the commercial trucking industry, not preventing vehicle movement while unattended is paramount to criminal negligence if property damage or injury/death occurs. Maybe someone reading this will get into the habit of blocking/chocking wheels and save themselves the embarrassment and an expensive call to their lawyer or insurance agent. (Rant over)

Let me 'splain how it works.

Admiral, or other designated driver is in truck because the park cog broke off and the e-brake bracket broke off the rusted frame 2 years ago. She's holding the brake, with the trailer a little high in the water.

That way you can dry dock the boat with about 150 horses and when you yell to pull out the boat won't slip off the bunks when she lets off the brake and tromps the gas a little clumsily.

See, no problem..

kahuna123

As a kid nothing was more entertaining on a Sunday after noon than going to the boat ramp and watching all the Bayliners . " A little further back honey". " Did you put the plug in?" I dont understand it started last April. Next time you might want to hook a rope to the boat before it floats off the trailer. OK your good, I can still see the winch. Be sure to leave those trailer lights plugged in when you back it down in salt water. No lets wait UNTIL we are blocking the ramp to unload the truck. Hey lets stop the minute we get the boat on the trailer still on the ramp and unload the boat back into the truck. It easy Margaret, just look in the rear view mirror. Hey Fred just shut the motor off 15ft from the dock and we will coast in. Hey do you think this 15ft eggshell bowrider with a 500gph bad connection pump, no radio and ski rope with a 5 pound anchor would be OK to go 20 miles offshore. Its a really nice day.

Florida can be very entertaining.