1971 evinrude lightwin 4hp questions

eagle604

Recruit
hi new too this forum and new to boats altogether. including motors.
picked up a this 1971 4hp 4106D for $300 which in my area seems like a good deal.

was used twice in 10 years and apparently serviced up 10 years ago. got it to start after 9 pulls when i first bought it. quickly realizing it was overheating. so shut it down, replaced the impeller and got that sorted out (lubed and regreased as i went). THEN wouldnt start at all. i just did a carb kit on it except for the float because its on order (it was floating fine still it seems) i set my slow and high speeds too joe reeves recommendations. it wanted to start almost every time i pulled it and finally after about 7 times it started. it ran for about 3-4 minutes and seemed fine until it stalled (i did forget too push the choke back in after it started)
then i tried to start it again about 7 more times (wasnt attempting to start) then the spring anchor on the pulley broke (btw i had serviced the starter and regreased and new rope etc)

sorry this is long winded. i need to know the part numbers for the pulley since spring anchor broke off. and the plastic idler gear as well. also the plastic throttle lever as its slightly warn. and any advise as too why it stalled (was it the choke not being in?) and any advise as too how i can get it to start on the first pull?

gas is mixed 50:1, new sparks gapped 0.030, i have spark on both i checked.

any info is really appreciated ...

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1971 evinrude lightwin 4hp questions

Parts list at http://shop2.evinrude.com
Aftermarket parts here at iboats
Very good motor, largely unchanged since the early 1950's. Started out as a 3 hp, went to 4 hp in 1969, finally got a shifter in 1981. Had the universal magneto until 1975.

Rick.

Captain

Great little motors they are. Not sure why it stalled out but if you go to the Top Secret File at the top of this forum there are lots of helpful hints as to what the problem could be. It should start easy. I would suggest checking to see if the plugs are wet and do a compression check as well. Don't hesitate to ask more questions once you've checked out things a bit. As far as your spring goes they are very available. Best of luck. Rick.

eagle604

Recruit

im laughing at myself. ok i havent done a compression check yet, but the plugs are still clean as a whistle. i fixed the anchor on the pulley by putting a screw in its place, then grinding the screw too shape and j-b welding it in. then shaping the anchor out of mighty putty, works beautiful saved $30. BUT when i went to set the starter spring i cranked the flywheel the wrong direction and bent the spring all too hell. doh! waiting on parts ... lol

Rick.

Captain

I have a fix for the spring myself which seems to work. While your waiting you should get yourself an OMC service manual if you don't already have one. They are most beneficial if you intend on doing your won repairs. Too bad about your spring but we all make mistakes. I tried to remove the choke plate cleaning the carb. Wrecked the screw, bent the shaft and then found out the screw is peened over at the factory to prevent it from falling out and being sucked into the engine. It was my first carb. rebuild and in retrospect completely unnecessary to remove the choke plate. Cost me a new Ebay carb. Rick.

eagle604

Recruit

funny enough i have a manual thats how i got this far. i work on the motor at my dads, left the manual at home. should of waited but i was anxious too get it going haha