1977 6hp Evinrude motor won't start

teemann67

Recruit
Have a 1977 6hp Evinrude motor, Model# 6704M. Originally it did no produce a spark and replaced the power pak and two spark plug coils. Now it is getting a spark but still will not start. I have sprayed starter fluid into the carburetor and tried to pull start it, and still will not start. Last outing I had was last fall and the motor just quit running and would not start again. Never had any leaks in the lower unit, water pump was working good that outing, I always make it a point to make sure water is pumping out of the hole. Any ideas or suggestions what to do next? I have a good water pump, good spark plug coils, good power pak, very good spark to the plugs and starter fluid does not help.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1977 6hp Evinrude motor won't start

Hmmm.
You have spark.
It should have started using the starting fluid, which is not recommended to use for 2-strokes. User premix gas in a squirt bottle next time.
That leaves compression, and timing.
It should have at least 75 lbs, but most importantly it should be even across the cylinders.
If you had the flywheel off, it could be that the flywheel key is now broken.

teemann67

Recruit

Hmmm.
You have spark.
It should have started using the starting fluid, which is not recommended to use for 2-strokes. User premix gas in a squirt bottle next time.
That leaves compression, and timing.
It should have at least 75 lbs, but most importantly it should be even across the cylinders.
If you had the flywheel off, it could be that the flywheel key is now broken.

Thanks for the advice. I have checked the flywheel and the flywheel key is in great shape. I'll check the compression and see if i am getting 75lbs compression.

teemann67

Recruit

Thanks for the advice. I have checked the flywheel and the flywheel key is in great shape. I'll check the compression and see if i am getting 75lbs compression.

Just bought a compression test gauge, test the compression and it was at 58lbs on both cylinders. Does that mean the pistons are bad?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

58 lbs is pretty marginal, even for a pull-start motor. Try squirting some 2 stroke oil in the spark plug holes and try it again. You can chuck up an adapter and socket to your drill motor and turn the motor over by the flywheel nut, by the way. That will save some wear and tear on yourself.