Torque Wrench

cg2er410

Cadet
Ok, what maybe a rookie question, but ya gotta learn some how. I am going to replace a fuel line going into my 2bl Mercarb. The specs require 18 ft/lbs torque on fuel line nut. The issue is on this Mercruiser engine the fuel line uses the "MAP" type flared fittings with the nuts already on the fuel line. I can not fit a socket on them, must use a wrench. How do I set the torque? Do I use a crowfoot wrench with the Torgue wrench attached to it?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Torque Wrench

hello<br /> if you use a flare crowfoot look in your torque wrench manual for what to subtract for the crowfoot offset.<br /> but its a flare fitting. steel tube brass ferral. dont strip the hex on the brass. I never torque them much anymore cause I have done 2 or 3 maybe:). remember to hold the female fitting with the other wrench or the assy may twist.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Just use two wrenches and snug them up, start it up, and of course check for wetness around the fitting

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I use the 'calibrated elbow' method. From previous use of the torque wrench you would know roughly what 18 lb-ft feels like. Hence 'calibrated elbow'.<br /><br />Chris.............