1995 johnson 150 problem motor

rednekbowfisher

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all well I have to reach out to the professionals on this one, I have a 1995 johnson 150 fast strike which I am the 3rd person to work on ( not a good Idea ).
compression 105 to 110 on all 6
I recieved the boat and it would just flat out not stay running and if you did get it running it would spit and sputter not idle good and miss at wot max rpm 4100
1. checked coil packs good great spark jump also placed timing light on each wire to see if I had any irregular fire patterns
2. new plugs
3. all 6 carbs have been rebuilt (mixture screws set back to 4 turns out per OMC manual they were at 7
4. noticed that the primer bulb would not stay hard checked check valve in tank and swapped tanks new fuel line and bulb found the VRO/fuel pump assemble to be at fault I Took one off of another good running motor now the fuel system stay primed and it starts right up but will only run for 30 sec them die. If you put it in gear and give it a little throttle runs like a champ no missing or hesitation but will only run 4600 rpm. I did a link and sync per book with no changed. I seem to think it is in the timing since these motors are so sensitive also I noticed that it does not fast idle on start up like it should . So where do I go from hear ?? I am at a loss there is no one in my area that has the timing tool needed to set the timing.

thanks in advance Jason

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 johnson 150 problem motor

Has it had all the updates? Manifold gaskets? grey plug wires/with correct plugs. Do you have a test prop? Do you have the timing tool?

rednekbowfisher

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1995 johnson 150 problem motor

it has been conveerted to a 94 harness and control box from what i can tell from the book it appers to be correctly wired, and no I do not have the timing tool which is needed nore do any of my local boat shops they say they just use a timing light