Trolling Motor Troubleshooting

Ruler2112

Cadet
I have a MinnKota 36 pound thrust that came with my boat when I bought it used. The trolling motor quit working several years ago and I put it in the corner of the workshop to fix at a later date. Well, I'm sick of looking at it and it's either going to be fixed or junked. What's worse is that every time I need a trolling motor, I just curse out my outboard for not being able to go slow enough... ;)

Basically, when I connect it to a battery and turn it on, nothing happens. However, if I leave it connected to the battery and press the battery status button, the lights display the charge relatively accurately. I've taken the shroud off, but can't see anything obviously wrong.

Where do I go from here or what would be the logical next step in troubleshooting? Somebody has a 55# thrust on sale for like $220 this month - this would be massive overkill for my 14' boat, but would certainly be a relatively inexpensive way to get a trolling motor again.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling Motor Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting something requires that we know a little bit about the motor. We have no idea of the age, tiller steer or cable steer, bow mount, stern mount, what???? What happened when it quit? Was it running and then died, or did you shut it off and it failed to start the next time. Details, details, details.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

The 55lber wouldn't be massive overkill but maybe the other is an easy fix?
Alittle more details would help.
Are you sure the battery is good?
Connections to TM good?
Does the prop move at all,check for fishing line etc?
It may be that the trolling motor is toast and $220 for a 55 is a good price.

j_martin

Admiral

Sounds like you need a little real knowledge.

Find the motor leads coming up to the head and directly energize them. If you get it backward the motor will just run backward. I'm betting it won't run.

The motor is a permanent magnet motor. The only electrical in it is brushes and an armature.

If you take the prop off, you'll uncover maybe 2 bolt heads that are on through bolts that hold the whole motor assembly together.

There are probably 2 shaft seals back to back, and O rings sealing the barrel to the end castings.

Usual failure is brushes, about 10 bucks a set.

Open it up. If you break off the through bolts, or it's had water in it and is all rusted up, you can quit. Mark the barrel to back casting alignment. It is critical on re-assembly. There probably is a locating pin, but if there isn't, that mark will be priceless.

Usually you clean up the armature with a little sandpaper, throw in a set of brushes, replace the seals and O-rings, and yer good to go for 20 bucks or less. MinKota repair centers are usually shops that have all the parts in bins right on sight. I get mine at Capra in Minneapolis.

One caveat (don't ask) is be sure your work area is clear of any metal dust or grinder swail. If you get some iron debris on the magnets, they are really "fun" to get clean. They are very strong.

hope it helps
John