96 Johnson 60 hp cold start problem

Mbaines

Recruit
I am the original owner of this 96 Johnson 60 hp 3 cylinder 2 stroke outboard and over the past few summers the motor has a very hard time cold starting. But after it starts I can shut it off and it fires right up with the turn of the key..
I do a lot of trolling with the motor

I took it into service last year and they made sure I knew how to start the motor, :rolleyes: checked the choke, (it was OK), checked compression, (two of the cylinders were 85ish psi and the third was between 90 and 100),fogged the cylinders and changed the plugs $350...:mad:

I take my boat to the lake and spend 30 minutes cooking the starter and two batteries to get the engine to fire.

another scenario would be when checking for spark with one plug pulled and another person turning the key the motor started!:confused:

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 96 Johnson 60 hp cold start problem

Sounds to me like a carb rebuild is in order. Can't remember which jets or components get gummed up (on travel far from my boat right now unfortunately). When was your last carb service?

Mbaines

Recruit
Re: 96 Johnson 60 hp cold start problem

Thank you for the quick reply tboydva,
as far as the carbs being rebuilt, I don't believe they ever have...
What would you consider a Carb rebuild?
I have in the past gone to the manual and adjusted the jets back to factory spek, (2 &1/2 turns open I believe). Then start the motor and "tune" the jets for a smooth idle.