PLEASE HELP 1978 Evinrude 115 w/ wiring problems...guages, tilt & solenoid

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well....First off....I love this site! I've already used this forum many times. Just registered and here goes first post. I have a 1983 Hydro Sports SX-275 with an Evinrude 115 V4 2-stroke (model# 115899C). I am trying to revive this boat. It was a huge mess but I only paid a $200 and figured it would be a summer project for my son (he's 12) and I. Plus I was laidoff work so I'm BROKE! The floor and carpet was removed. New floor with custom front deck and fiberglass has been installed. Will be putting down carpet soon.
The WIRING is a real mess and not sure where to start. The main harness from the control box to motor (w/ red plug) is all there and complete...that looks good. There is another wire harness that comes from the bottom of control box and leads to guages and switches on the dash. Most of those are plugged in with a few that are unplugged and or cut. Not sure where they go yet. There is a solenoid on the engine that goes to starter (that seems fine) but another solenoid is located in one of the battery boxes at rear of boat. This sloenoid has no wires connected to it but looks as if it was in service at some point. Also in this battery box/compartment is a huge birds nest size of wires (im talking Hawk size). Some go to bilge pumps, lights, trim etc., and many others are unknown. I want to try to start this but I dont want a fire either. There are alot of bare wires and I dont know what will be hot. So the plan is to go one step at a time.
So....The first couple of questions:
1) Trim Wires: The main harness has 3 wires---Green, Blue and Black. The harness looks good and has not been spliced into. Where do these wires go? Control box, guage or solenoid? There is another cord coming from the tilt motor (it really looks like a regular cord from a house lamp). Where does that go? Could that be an add-on for the second trim switch that was mounted on the bow? The other trim switch is on the OMC Control Box handle.
Well....I will try to keep these shorter in the future. I just wanted to start off with all the details. Once I figure the trim thing out I will update post and ask more dumb questions.
I know the first thing is to do a compression check....but If I have to rebuild the motor or purchase another used motor...thats fine. I just dont have the money right now and my son gets excited when we accomplish something on the boat....frankly, so do I. Like he says, "well thats fixed.....whats next?" Plus the motor might be good. I rebuilt the carbs, bought new plugs, checked the fluids, and repalced ALL fuel lines and primer bulb and line. So as soon as I can get the wiring figured out....I'll try to crank her up.
And just a couple of things to note....I am fairly mechanically inclined....used to race moto-x and did my own work...but wiring was neveer something I needed. I learn quick. We are tired of busting the banks and I am tired of hearing my son ask "Dad, when will we be able to get out on the water?"

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/suggestions.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: PLEASE HELP 1978 Evinrude 115 w/ wiring problems...guages, tilt & solenoid

Your best plan of attack is to either trace and label what all of the wires go to first, then you will have to decide what would be more viable, a complete rewire, or actually fixing the wiring of the person before you.

Your motor is indeed a 1978 model, if you can get your hands on a manual for your motor then do it, as it will include a wiring diagram for your motor and tilt system as well.

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi and thanks so much!
I think the best bet for me is to start with what I have. Most wires under dash are hooked up and look good so I dont want to start the complete "rewire" job until everything is hooked up and works. I will just replace wires that are damaged in anyway for now. I dont understand the whole second solenoid that I referenced in last post. I have looked at a diagram but it doesnt show a second solenoid or all the wiring for guages and tilt.

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And I will download some pictures if that helps......if I can figure out how....keeps telling me upload failed

levi_tsk

Ensign

go to photo bucket and set up a account with them and upload your pics there, then click on the img link and then paste it here
feel free to go nuts with the pics especially where wiring is concerned like you said you dont want a fire

those trim wires should go in the black box on the back of the engine
as should the "extention cord looking" set of wires
as for a separate soleniod i dont know so make sure you take pics of that birds nest and post em here

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
need help wiring rpm, volts, trim, and fuel gauges and trim motor on 78 evinrude 115

need help wiring rpm, volts, trim, and fuel gauges and trim motor on 78 evinrude 115

Well....First off....I love this site! I've already used this forum many times in just the last few weeks. Just registered and here goes first post.

PLEASE HELP--- Restoring a 1983 Hydro Sports SX-275 with a 1978 Evinrude 115 V4 2-stroke (model# 115899C).

The WIRING is a real mess........mainly all the gauges---voltage, fuel, rpm, and tilt/trim.
I guess I will start with the trim.

Problem1) Tilt/Trim Wires: The main harness has 3 wires coming from tilt motor---Green, Blue and Black. The harness looks good and has not been spliced into. Where do these wires go? Control box, guage or solenoid? There is another cord coming from the tilt motor (it really looks like a regular cord (black) from a house lamp or something). Where does that go? Its just 2 wires...Could that be an add-on for the second trim switch that was mounted on the bow? The other trim switch is on the OMC Control Box handle. Not sure if that trim switch even works.

Once I figure the trim thing out I will update post and ask more dumb questions.
I want to start the motor but I have too many cut, missing, and/or dissconnected wires...I dont want to cause more problems or a fire! Alot of wires have been sliced and jumper leads added (i assume for accessories??) but most are disconnected. I just want to start slow and fix or replace wires and/or gauges 1 at a time. If I knew where everthing went it would be a piece of cake....but its a real mess!
We are tired of busting the banks and I am tired of hearing my son ask "Dad, when will we be able to get a boat and get out on the water?" So I bought what I could afford...a project.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/suggestions.

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TEST PICTURE
droidx185.jpg
[/IMG]

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great thanks...test pic. worked so I will take more pictures tomorrow morning and post. Pictures will definitely help explain and resolve this issue. Thanks again.

levi_tsk

Ensign

your welcome man i remember my dad getting me into boating when i was your sons age glad to see someone else doing the same and ill be glad to help you in anyway i can:D
also you might wanna look on ebay for a gently used FACTORY service manual (do not get a seloc clymer or any of the other hanes production manuals -they make far better toilet paper than they make reference material) those run around 25 bux shipped for a good used one in really nice condition if it doesnt say OMC in big green or blue letters on the front its junk and dont buy it

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool....i feel better already. My Grandfather got me into fishing/boating and now I think my son is worse than me with it all....lol. Actually glad to hear that about the manuals because I have the Solec and I was pretty much lost. It has some useful info in it but seemed like everthing I needed wasnt in there. I'll look for the OMC manual. Thanks again.

levi_tsk

Ensign

hey you need to turn on your private messages ... tried to send you a link and it wont let me (theres ALOT of lurkers around here and you dont want em snapping something up i show you and believe me .... they will)

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its on now

levi_tsk

Ensign

youve got mail!

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

hey you need to turn on your private messages ... tried to send you a link and it wont let me (theres ALOT of lurkers around here and you dont want em snapping something up i show you and believe me .... they will)

If you post something here that he can use, then he can use it, nobody is going to be able to stop him from accessing it.

levi_tsk

Ensign

id like for the OP to get first opportunity to buy something i find for them ..........
not someone who sees it before he does......
but as far as info and help im all about helping everyone and ill post it here freely

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok...here is a pic of the wires coming from the tilt motor
boat001.jpg

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and here are the ends....where do they go?
boat002.jpg

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: need help wiring rpm, volts, trim, and fuel gauges and trim motor on 78 evinrude

Re: need help wiring rpm, volts, trim, and fuel gauges and trim motor on 78 evinrude

here are the wires coming from the tilt motor
boat001.jpg

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and here are the ends....where do they go?
boat002.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Gauges have nothing to do with the engine except the tach (send) wire and the trim (send) wire. All of the other gauges are powered and fed by the "boat" harness. There is a Generic wiring diagram at the very top of this forum in the "stickies". Use it to wire the gauges.